Simplex shifter compatibility question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironhorse2022

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Eventually, I’ll need to purchase a shifter set up and wanted to confirm a few things. My boat is a 56 Aerocraft and the engine I’m working on is a 67 evinrude Fastwin. I think the first pic is correct for the boat and the second is correct for the motor. Is that right ? Secondly, would you recommend one shifter over the other ? Will the 50’s shifter work on a late 60’s motor ? Do they both take the same cables ? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1EAAA504-A86A-4AAA-A060-C644D9ED4746.png
    1EAAA504-A86A-4AAA-A060-C644D9ED4746.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 89A4B062-B2CB-45EA-AA08-1F905F2E8A3F.png
    89A4B062-B2CB-45EA-AA08-1F905F2E8A3F.png
    838.8 KB · Views: 0
Hi,
You're correct. The first is more in keeping with the vintage of the boat. The second is a better match for the motor. Both will work with the motor, and they do use the same terminal ends on the cables. Be sure to look up the method for "kinking" the end of the cables when you stab them into the slugs.
I would use the older of the two shifters and keep the look of the boat more true.
Good luck,
Ron

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 0
Paint the earlier shifter and use new decals. Oldoutboardecal has great replacement decals for whatever vintage you choose. Dixie is the owner and super knowledgeable.
The kinking of the cable core end is ULTRA important as it is a huge safety step. If not done the cable can slip and the engine will stay in whatever gear last used and can be throttled into a disaster.
If you need to know how to do this let us know.

Latest posts