Smokercraft, broken cross supports and small leaks Q (pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wombat

Reaction score
I just bought an 1987 14' smokercraft and some of the cross supports are broken. How much of an issue is this? Can I use it safely for the summer? How hard would it be to fix? The middle seat also is not connected anymore at the center brace, how can I re-affix it?

Also it has a small leak on the riveted center bow bracket and another under the aft seat. What is the process to seal this and what should I use?

The wood on the transom where the motor mounts has worn through the fist layer of plywood. There is still a second under layer of plywood that seems to be solid. Also there is a good deal of patching done by the previous owner on the transom. The transom brace is still solidly in place. Would it be safe to put a 9.9 Nissan outboard on the boat or should I replace the wood before trying.

The stern corner caps on top are loose and so is the bow cap (not sure what to call them). Will just replacing the bolts be enough of a fix for use this summer? The handle is broken off of one of the rear ones. Where can I buy a replacement?

I hope to use it this summer and then do a real restoration this winter.

zIY5ld0.jpg

flfDTL8.jpg

046VVqM.jpg

vjoidqN.jpg

l8yCyLR.jpg

mmMtlgW.jpg

If it was just one broken rib, Id say go ahead and use it, but three is a different story. First, you have to figure out why they broke..was it a one time drop of the boat, or a problem with the way it was oj a trailer, or is it a design flaw? You have to know before you fix it so its not recurring. Second there are ways to mend cracked ribs, but you are missing sections. The aluminum is called a hat channel, and you have to get it made or go to a specialty metal store. You could use a half pipe of alumnum, which is how I repaired a crack, but in your case you have to also reattach it to the hull.

If you dont fix it, then it will eventually lead to more broken ribs or a crack in the hull. Its do-able, but the trick is to do it cost effectively. Otherwise, it may cost more than buying another used boat.

Sharp looking boat you have there, but unfortunately it needs some major attention.

More than likely, you could run your 9.9 on there for the summer and the boat would hold together. It will leak, flex, and maybe develop more leaks and possibly some cracks .... but I don't think it will fall apart and sink or anything like that.

I wouldn't try to but an bandaids on it before the summer .... either start the overhaul process now .... or just throw on a life jacket and roll the dice. Just make sure to do a few test runs with just yourself before putting family or anyone else in the boat.

Given the look of the missing rib sections, I wouldn't be so sure that it was not some miss guide attempt to modify the boat, but I'm probably wrong. They can be refabed at a metal shop or you could do it at home with some angle and 1/8" plate and stainless steel bolts/nuts; It's all in how handy you are and your confidence level in your abilities. Not knowing what you have invested in the boat or how much effert you want to put into it I would say: Take to some one who can weld aluminum to fabricate the braces. They would be welded to the existing brace. I would just grind and drill out the rivets on the sides and replace with stainless steel bolts and washers and some 5200 (which I did on my boat). That being said, I'm not sure that some light use would cause any further problems. the transom board is an easy fix, because you just use the old one for a template. as far as any leaks. Your best friend and fix all is 3M 5200, just goop up the spot let it set for a day or two so it won't stick to your feet and your ready to go. Don't over load your boat, make sure you have proper life jackets esp. for any little ones. get a paddle and take it out for test run prior to bringing your family out. Don't know your boating experience or area where you'll be on the water, but it's important to know the limits of your boat, motor in all conditions. If your only doing small lakes/rivers with mild current I think after some 5200 you would be ok. You well learn as you go, but never at the expence of the passengers.

Latest posts