So Close! What to do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drxfish

Reaction score
I just bought a nice 1994 15 foot TX 150 Sea Nymph to replace my old 1236 jon I have had since 2001. One of the key factors in finding a boat was fitting it into my single standard size garage. I knew this boat would not fit as is, but was counting on it fitting with a trailer tongue hinge.

I fit the boat in the garage, but I have a workbench that was installed along the back wall and the boat looks like it will be super close, if not still too long if I remove that portion of the bench. The pictures are of the front and back, with 20 inches measured as what will be gained by removing the bench. I might get a couple of inches gained by angling the boat, but that will cut my clearance to get around it.

eBcdbvo.jpg

iFgoWvi.jpg

q73WA1u.jpg

The boat has a jack plate that I can remove if needed, but I just don't know if I can actually fit it even with the hinge installed. This will be a bust if I cannot, because I really do not want to store a boat outside.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. The boat has a 9.9 with an 18hp carb. Garmin and humminbird units, 70 pound TM and nice custom built decking.

Always hard to tell from pictures. But, here are my thoughts:

- Remove 10HP from boat when stored. PITA but that size is manageable.
- If driveway is flat and boat is light, swing it around 180 and go in tongue first. May fit under bench top.
- Move spare tire to under bow stop, facing to starboard side to have winch handle clearance.
- Move jack stand to up against bow stop post, not sure if you have cranking clearance though.
- Cut tongue and add swing or pinned tongue.

Kind of sucks, but it you move the workbench, move the tongue jack back as far as it will go, and relocate the spare holder, it looks like you would have the room needed for the tongue hinge to work.

PS: I remember someone here had a "notch" cut into their workbench so the boat would fit in the garage. I just can't remember who.

The simple solution is to build a pole barn like I did !! If you can't then what about an extension onto your garage?? My neighbor has a 4' extension on the back of his, actually looks good, doesnt need to be ceiling height !! If your adding your own hinge to the tongue, you can put it anywhere you want along that tongue length to make it work.....

I cut about 6-8" off my tongue and still have to remove the coupler to fit it in the garage at an angle. But that's only during the winter, my boat stays in the water at a dock from Apr through Oct. I put a hinge on one of my boat trailers to fit it in the other side of the garage and that worked well, it still had to go in at an angle. It looks like you could do the hinge and fit at an angle and I would start with that. It doesn't look like it would fit without the hinge regardless of the bench. But those pop up tent type things would probably work better than forcing it into the garage. If I had a $8k or higher boat, I would want it inside for the winter, summer isn't too big of a deal.

How deep is the work bench? Maybe you could just rework the bench so that it doesn't protrude out as far. Anything sitting on the top against the wall could be relocated to shelves underneath the bench or put on shelves or in a shallow cabinet above the bench. Probably look neater also.

Wow! Great responses, guys. I really appreciate them. I took the boat to my brother-in-law's to assess the length and look at trailer hinge I bought to see if it would get me enough clearance. It looks like can do it if I remove the section of bench. I like the idea of the hinge, but not sure if that will work for me.

The boat is really heavy (deceptively so) and doing a lot of moving around is not really an option. I live in a townhouse, so the tent or garage extension options are not possible. I tried pushing the trailer in but could not clear the little bump going into the garage, so I have to back it up attached to clear that, then I can push it the rest of the way.

I am changing oil and waiting for plugs to come next week. Will try to get it on the water next week after our rainy weekend. Really need to know the boat is not too much for me solo before I go and cut the bench. Hope it handles ok.

I will post progress pics when I get it done. Great excuse to clean up the garage.

Getting it setup correctly will make it easy for one person to handle. I am 73 and have a 16' Sylvan SC with a 40hp Merc that I launch and load all by myself with no issues. Gotta get your trailer set up so the boat self centers and be sure you have enough winch to make it easy. If you need any help, let me know...this is my boat...

Attachments

• 01212_9XDdfATkD6fz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    01212_9XDdfATkD6fz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2
Do you think you will still use the workbench when the boat is in the garage? It looks like you would need to move the boat to really use the workbench. I think the trailer hinge with it at an angle is your best solution, that way you keep the bench and just move the boat if you need to use it. I do like putting my boat in the garage for the winter and not having to cover it.

Park boat outside. Better than not having access to your bench.

More good replies and ideas. I really do not use the bench for much except storage (as you see the mess on it). I do use the vice for projects, but just on occasion. Once I clear out and reorganize the garage some, I will see if I really need to remove that section. The previous owner built the bench, but he did a good job and I hate to destroy it.

I am not sure how much room I will have with the boat. I have stuff stored on both sides, so that can be improved along with culling stuff I really do not need. Here is a picture of my 1236 in the garage and a picture of both boats outside when I was moving them around.

Attachments

• 20230412_101734 (1).jpg
    20230412_101734 (1).jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230426_101027.jpg
    20230426_101027.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 1
For awhile I parked a massive old Cadillac in my garage. Barely could get the door down. I considered building a shed type bump out on the back wall and moving the bench back 3' or so, but never did it. Just another idea. I really think though with a good cover your boat won't be any worse for wear if you store it outside. Inside is nice, but seems we never have enough storage.

Outside not an option with HOA. I would have to rent space nearby and pay $235 a quarter, plus there is a waiting list.

Think UP. Maybe you could just build a storage shelf high and on each side of the garage for "junk" storage. Buy one of those foldable, portable work benches for small projects.

More good ideas. I own the Townhouse, so can do what I want in it. Just the outside that is subject to HOA approval. I got the motor all set. New oil, lower unit oil, changed the plugs and cleaned it up. We are getting a lot of rain this weekend and then it gets windy, so will get the boat on the water as soon as it is safe. I hope to do that by Wednesday. That is when I am scheduled to put the hinge on with my brother-in-law. Then I will see if it will get in without the modification to the bench.

Latest posts