Solar Panels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
The thought of adding solar to my boat has crossed my mind quite a bit, but there is really no good place to put them.

Then I thought, perhaps I could put one in place of my rear bilge hatch, which is roughly 24x24. Big enough for a 100 watt panel. Not enough to make a huge difference, but it would certainly help keep the starting battery topped up.

Anyone know how much abuse these things can take? Being on the rear of the back deck, you rarely ever fully stand on it, but it will get stepped on. I'm pretty sure that a rigid panel would break, but those semi-flexible ones may work.

If it does work out, more could be placed on the floor and on the front deck.

If it helps you, they added those 12x18" or smaller Harbor Freight solar ones to our 2 Club skiffs that are in the water 24/7 from May to Nov. We get a lot of rain, so the boats have bilge pumps and neither small OB charges the batteries and we didn't need to remove and re-charge either battery last season.

Being tiller-steered boats, we mounted them on the rear seat, well off to the port-side where no one sits, with just enough room to step on that seat if needed. So far no damage ...

DaleH said:
If it helps you, they added those 12x18" or smaller Harbor Freight solar ones to our 2 Club skiffs that are in the water 24/7 from May to Nov. We get a lot of rain, so the boats have bilge pumps and neither small OB charges the batteries and we didn't need to remove and re-charge either battery last season.

Being tiller-steered boats, we mounted them on the rear seat, well off to the port-side where no one sits, with just enough room to step on that seat if needed. So far no damage ...

I may just have to buy one and see how it does. They are not terribly expensive (~$70).

It would pretty much amount to a fart in the wind with trolling batteries, but will help keep the graphs and stuff from running down the starting battery.

I have seen pictures of small tins with solar panels.

They appear to be similar to pole push platforms or casting platforms that is over the engine.

Solar panels are devices that convert sunlight into electricity, and they have a wide range of uses. Here are some examples:

1. Residential: Solar panels can be installed on rooftops of homes to generate electricity for personal use. This reduces reliance on traditional power sources and can save money on electricity bills.
  2. Commercial: Solar panels can be used by businesses to generate electricity for their operations, reducing their energy costs and helping them to be more environmentally friendly.
  3. Off-grid: Flexible solar panels are particularly useful for off-grid applications, such as in remote areas or in mobile homes, boats, or RVs, where traditional power sources are not available or feasible.
  4. Emergency: In emergency situations, flexible solar panels can provide a reliable source of electricity for essential devices such as phones, radios, and medical equipment.
  5. Agriculture: Solar panels can be used in agriculture for irrigation, lighting, and powering machinery, increasing the efficiency of farming operations.
Overall, solar panels are a versatile and sustainable technology that can benefit individuals, businesses, and communities in a variety of ways.

I would never run any accessories off my starting battery !
If I have an electric start motor, I always have another deep cycle battery for all accessories...then I always am surevto have engine starting power.....

I would never run any accessories off my starting battery !
If I have an electric start motor, I always have another deep cycle battery for all accessories...then I always am surevto have engine starting power.....

Since this post I've upgraded to a newer 90hp Merc four stroke, it has a real belt driven alternator that actually produces a decent charge so the solar idea is kind of moot, if I need more juice I can just run the big motor for 10 minutes or so to top up the battery.

I have always ran the console graph, pumps, and lights off the cranking battery. With how I fish it hasn't ever been a problem. I do run a much larger than needed battery though. Should I ever run it down I have two more batteries up front I can swap in real quick to crank the big motor. Altogether there's enough juice in my boat to jump a Mack truck.

Since this post I've upgraded to a newer 90hp Merc four stroke, it has a real belt driven alternator that actually produces a decent charge so the solar idea is kind of moot, if I need more juice I can just run the big motor for 10 minutes or so to top up the battery.

I have always ran the console graph, pumps, and lights off the cranking battery. With how I fish it hasn't ever been a problem. I do run a much larger than needed battery though. Should I ever run it down I have two more batteries up front I can swap in real quick to crank the big motor. Altogether there's enough juice in my boat to jump a Mack truck.
I hear ya, in my 16' I run a dedicated start battery and a group 31 accessory only battery, never have run it down !!
Add to that another pair of group 31's for the trolling motor up front so yes I have plenty if battery power, but....you never know when something might happen or go wrong, better to be prepared !! In my 60 plus years if boating, never had to be towed (knock on wood) guess my head is getting sore from so much knocking....

Latest posts