Sorry,posted in wrong area but can’t figure out how to delete!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Since I’m really close to finally getting back on the water and have my boat rigged for drifting,trolling etc. Basically going after some big fish and I know they’re in there. Trophy blue cats , flatheads , and stripers. Most of my equipment is pretty durable. A collection of Abu Garcia on All Star nano rods 6’6”. But that’s just a little little light for what I’m about to start. Since I’m not sure what’s going to fit me until I figure out what fishing style works for me. I have put together one rig no big investment. 8 foot King Kat med/heavy fast action rod with another Garcia 6500 on it.
Now it’s down to the line. I purchased Sufix 832 40lb. Braided size is equivalent to 10lb. Mono. I know braid has no stretch and if it gets a big hit it could snap. But when looking for channel cat I hold the rod because some times you barley feel them and braided is sensitive to that. I haven’t spilled up the braided yet. If I do I’ll start off with mono a few rounds then splice in the braided. Also make my leaders out of mono so there will be some stretch when hit and fitting a fish. I currently have braided line on my 9 foot spinning combo I put together for fishing from the beach in Matagorda. Rigged it up the same way except for the leaders. They where steel we catch a lot of sharks there especially at night. Guys will kayak their bait way out and drop it off and catch monster bull shark, hammerheads etc.
Any way the deeper part of the lake has no hazards that I’ve found as far as timber , rocks except for right at the dam. All the structure is shallow water which I will be going there also at certain times. So what is your opinion on fishing line? I put together an economical rod but not going to skimp on line.
I see a lot of the pros using high visibility Mono. But I think there reels are a little bigger than mine as far as compactly. I like the high vis for night fishing which is why I’m going to paint my rod tip that I can see good under my led light. I wished I had gotten black light instead. So what do you think on the big rod keep the braided or go with some high vis mono say 40 , 50 lb? For channel cat I’m rigging up one of my All Star Nano rods with braided (because of the sensitivity). It’s got Fuji alconite guides that braided line can’t hurt.
What do you big fish catching guys use?

Not sure you would want advice from someone that has never caught or touched a Blue Cat, Flathead, or Striper. ;)

The only thing remotely close, that I do, is trolling for muskies. Similar rig to what you are using: 7' 6" and 8' HF rods with abu reels. We use braid with floro leader and wire leader. The braid is 60-65lb though. Our channel cat rigs are 7' HF with braid and floro leader. Run 50-65lb for that. A huge channel cat in our area would only push near 20lb or so. Nothing like a flathead or blue down south.

My thought is the braid you have is too small for your quory, but it is probably better than switching to mono. If you need a shock leader, than maybe mono for that. I'll be interested in what the experts say and how it compares to my northern fishing.

Not sure you would want advice from someone that has never caught or touched a Blue Cat, Flathead, or Striper. ;)

The only thing remotely close, that I do, is trolling for muskies. Similar rig to what you are using: 7' 6" and 8' HF rods with abu reels. We use braid with floro leader and wire leader. The braid is 60-65lb though. Our channel cat rigs are 7' HF with braid and floro leader. Run 50-65lb for that. A huge channel cat in our area would only push near 20lb or so. Nothing like a flathead or blue down south.

My thought is the braid you have is too small for your quory, but it is probably better than switching to mono. If you need a shock leader, than maybe mono for that. I'll be interested in what the experts say and how it compares to my northern fishing.
I reposted this in the tackle forum.
I appreciate the information. If I go with braid I’m definitely going to have monofilament or floro leaders. It’s a bear trying to break of braided in deep water. Then I’ve lost that much line.
I agree with you on the size. I’m going to use the braid I have on a channel cat rig and step up on the bigger rigs. Found me a 7’ med/hvy fast action rod today so I can compare with the 8 foot. When I figure out what works best for me then I’ll start building my arsenal.
One thing a good catfish rod is about half as much as I have spent on good bass fishing equipment. All I owed at one time where all Castaway rods with Shimono reels.

Latest posts