Sourcing boat trailer leaf springs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey101

Reaction score
I have a boat trailer that I am restoring, one of the leaf springs is broken and the other one is bent. I have another trailer that has the same type springs: 27-1/2" slipper style leaf springs flat end 1000lb cap.
So since I have two trailers with the same size springs, I am thinking this size is comon.
Apparently this it not the case. 24-1/2in are everywhere then the next size is 30inch.
I bought 24-1/2" from amazon and they won't work, to use them i would have to reposition the hangers and fenders. So I am sending them black.
After hours of searching i found a set of 27-1/2inch springs from Eastern Marine.
They look close but not exactly like mine. They are radius end slipper springs not flat end, also they are double spring all the way to the end. Still these look like the closest ones I could find so I ordered them. Hopefully, i won't have to do too much to make them work, looks like at most I will have to replace the rear hangers because of the radius end and the double spring goes all the way through the rear hanger
Wish me luck!

I Got the new leaf springs installed last night. They were not a perfect fit and as I suspected, I had to cut some of the support spring off so it would fit like the original springs. You can see it if you look closely in the picture. I also put on new hubs, bearings and tires, next will be paint and longer bunks.

Attachments

• 0426230625.jpg
    0426230625.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
In Toledo Ohio, there is a spring shop that will make any type of spring you want or need. They will duplicate any springs you have.
There was a spring shop here in Cincinnati, Dent Spring, but I couldn't find them, they must gone out of business. Any way the springs I bought are good, at $36 each. Good old China made.

I am finished with the trailer for now. I still have to install the guides, do some adjustments, and I would like to install a front roller, and better winch rope, but at least it is useable. Now I am starting on the boat.

Attachments

• 0427231952.jpg
    0427231952.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Message_1682641088168.jpg
    Message_1682641088168.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
There was a spring shop here in Cincinnati, Dent Spring, but I couldn't find them, they must gone out of business. Any way the springs I bought are good, at $36 each. Good old China made.
Where was Dent Spring located? We are also on need of new boat trailer springs. We had ones made at Dent for our old boat around 2000. But it went through a middleman repair shop in NKy. (where we broke down) There is a Dent Springs in Sharonville...Is that the one? or are they just resurrecting the name?

Where was Dent Spring located? We are also on need of new boat trailer springs. We had ones made at Dent for our old boat around 2000. But it went through a middleman repair shop in NKy. (where we broke down) There is a Dent Springs in Sharonville...Is that the one? or are they just resurrecting the name?
They were located near Sharonville but no longer there they do auto reparo there now

Latest posts