Starcraft Holiday Duck Boat Remodel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRISH56

Reaction score
Hey everybody .... been lurking around for a little while and thought I might best jump in the mix. My project is an 16' Starcraft Holiday, 70's vintage I think, that was converted into a duck hunting boat before we (brothers and I) got it a few years ago. It was originally used for hunting in Michigan somewhere, Saginaw Bay area I think. Anyways, we've hunted it a few years on Cayuga Lake (NY) and it's time for some upgrades.

Very solid hull, had the closed bow when we bought it and I removed that as well as the bench seats, no floor .... ever I think. The plan is to put in a floor, frame up a platform in the back for battery, gas tank and some storage and as a "jump off" point for the dog. Platform up front with storage underneath. Drivers seat on the rear platform and one or two pedestal seats. Trying to keep the floor as open as possible, there may be a gunbox in the future when we get the $$$ to have one welded up. Repower in the future also, 35 Evinrude pushes it fine now but I think after the remodel it will need a little more HP, the hull is rated for up to 85 I think.

So here it is .... 1st pic shows it when we bought it. The others show as it sits right now. Trying to figure the best way to support the floor down the centerline, beam or 2x2 uprights bracketed to the ribs .... any thoughts?

1st project for me, looking forward to getting it done and getting the pup out this summer for training and of course .... hunting it!

DAN

dcp_0040.jpg

dcp_0001.jpg

P5210403.jpg

P5210400.jpg

P5210402.jpg

It's not pretty but it's progress ....... started framing up the floor support structure. Everything has to be custom fit, nothing is the same depth, angle etc., probably is an easier way but this is best I can come up with for now. I am planning on dry fitting everything until I am happy with the tolerances (which I am not yet ](*,) )

progress052511.jpg

Awesome looking boat! do you use a blind on it or not? Can't wait to see your progress.

Thanks. We have a Flex Blind (individual flexible "branches" w/leaves) that we bought initially for it, I'll post up a pic later. I'm thinking next years project might be build a scissor style blind to use in conjunction with it.

https://www.camoflex.net/camoflex/waterfowl.html

OK, so before I get the floor down I want to do something about managing water under the floor which will inevitably get under there & I am planning on putting in flotation foam. Water can flow under the ribs in certain spots above the lowest point, centerline of the boat. So I am considering drilling small drain holes in the center of each rib so any water will flow to the back of the boat and eventually get drained or pumped out by the bilge pump. Are there any issues with this? Below is a pic of the bottom of the boat for reference.

Thanks.

P5150399.jpg

Latest posts