State of Illinois

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
I just received my notice that my trailer plates need their new sticker. The renewal cost has gone up from $18.00 a year to $118.00 a year. That's the new cost of trailers up to 3000 pounds. That's just wrong!

No that's just Illinois.

You really should be mad about your property taxes. 3X what they would be in Iowa.

I’ve got 2 boats with trailers so I got hit twice. The state is broke. They gotta pay for stuff somehow. I get them back though. Now that I’m retired, I don’t have to pay any state income tax on my retirement benefits and income.

Scott F said:
I’ve got 2 boats with trailers so I got hit twice. The state is broke. They gotta pay for stuff somehow. I get them back though. Now that I’m retired, I don’t have to pay any state income tax on my retirement benefits and income.
I have two trailers now and possibly a third. I might need to rethink my plans.

Scott F said:

As of yet. You wait. They are coming for you.

They reap what they sow. Closing all of the states lakes and hunting sites due to Covid is going to hurt the DNR badly.

They're already underfunded and they'll likely cut staff as a result.

The trailer plate increase is asinine, especially for something I only use three to four months out of the year.

The Governor of Illinois is giving everyone who's plates and drivers license expire while the stay at home order is in effect a 90 day extension on renewals. In Illinois all small trailer plates expire the last day of April. I won't need to renew my trailer plates until the last day of July now. But still a $100 increase with the economy the way it is now.

I have a few trailers myself. When you work and play off of trailers $100 per trailer increase is a lot. I’m thinking about putting a pintle hitch on the boat trailer with a slow moving vehicle sign on it. Think I’ll run the idea past my buddy who’s a county deputy first. :)

jethro said:
Wow, I wonder what my 30 foot enclosed snowmobile trailer would cost in Illinois? 8500lb GVWR.

$206, If you really want to get fleeced pull it through a toll gate. :shock:

Capture.JPG

kdgrills said:
jethro said:
Wow, I wonder what my 30 foot enclosed snowmobile trailer would cost in Illinois? 8500lb GVWR.

I get charged $15 at toll bridges because of the boat trailer. Shoot, I'm just an old dude pulling a light tin boat, but they don't care. Anyway, I have to admit our trailer registration fees are pretty reasonable compared to Illinois. Yours are kind of crazy.

kdgrills said:
jethro said:

Capture.JPG

Oh, that's about what I would pay in NH. Maybe less, even.

But you get hosed on small boats. I pay like $15 for my little tin.

Sure glad I don't live in Illinois. Or Kalifornia. Or Nevada. Or DC. Or anywhere in the NE although Maine is really pretty certain times of the year. Nice to visit, but don't stay long.

My friend lives near Sparta, and sold his boat, for this reason alone. Said if he uses it once a year (which is about all he used it), it was gonna cost him $118 to use it that one time, plus bait, fuel, and everything else. Not worth it, to him, and the DNR doesn't give a rat's backside if the local (to him) lakes are worth going to or not. The $118 registration fee cost more than the boat was worth but the state doesn't care about that. They're seeing dollar signs. Wonder how many boat/trailer are running around with no registration because of the high cost??

They say the state is broke. I wonder why?

Guess I have it good here.

Or those with several small trailer and using one plate and swapping it to which trailer is being used.
Not that I know anyone that would do such a thing.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Or those with several small trailer and using one plate and swapping it to which trailer is being used.
Not that I know anyone that would do such a thing.

License plate for my trailer has been setting under the seat of my truck for several months. Good thing I use small safety chains when I mount the plate otherwise it would have been setting along the road somewhere. Haha. I just ordered another bracket.

I am waiting to see what the watercraft renewal stickers will be after they think we over the trailer fees.

I am glad the FOID and CCW fees didn't get raised, yet.

State legislature admitted they made a mistake by raising trailer fee's, supposedly they were not to increase. So they "fixed" that mistake and
$36 is the new fee. So what about us who paid the extortion?

FormerParatrooper said:
State legislature admitted they made a mistake by raising trailer fee's, supposedly they were not to increase. So they "fixed" that mistake and
$36 is the new fee. So what about us who paid the extortion?

I had not heard of this. When did it happen?
I paid the $118.00 twice. Is there going to be a class action suit?

I did a quick google search.
For $118.00 you get a permanent life time plate. Trailers under 3000 pounds it goes back to $18.00.

I doubt they'll lower their $150 for title transfer. I bought a used boat w/trailer, a small atv trailer, a used truck and re-registered another vehicle so far this year = well over a grand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts