Stealth Electric outbboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnum

Reaction score
Back in early January I ordered a complete electric outboard system from Stealth. (6030 50hp) It was finally delivered last week and I was able to get it installed on my Triton SP175 aluminum bass boat. The basic install was very easy, the challenges of the install where trying to fit everything in and pull wires to the helm. I will say that I did have a manufacture issue that I was able to fix on my own. They disconnect the reversing gear from the lower unit and during reassembling they did not tighten the water pump and fit the gasket properly. That being said I am very happy with the installation and performance of the system so far. While I have only been out 2 times, once for a top speed test and another for a battery performance test. I was most impressed with the top speed. This system put my 17'2" aluminum bass boat on plane at a speed of about 16 mph topping out at 26.2 mph, Thats right 26.2 mph! While this amperage draw will drain the batteries quickly and force the controller to dial back as to not over heat the motor, it is fun to get up and go.

Sounds great, thanks for sharing. Hope to see you share more performance results as you use it more. What battery configuration is used? I would think a 50 HP would have some pretty hefty power needs. Additionally, what is the water pump cooling? Obviously, I know next to nothing about this new generation of electric outboards.

I don't think we need a fortune teller to show us these will be very common in the future.

LDUBS said:
I don't think we need a fortune teller to show us these will be very common in the future.

From my point of view it's gonna be like electric cars - great to have...IF you can afford to buy one with all the batteries you'll need to run it.

For the average Joe - we'll still be stuck with gas-eaters.

LDUBS said:
Sounds great, thanks for sharing. Hope to see you share more performance results as you use it more. What confgurbattery iation is used? I would think a 50 HP would have some pretty hefty power needs. Additionally, what is the water pump cooling? Obviously, I know next to nothing about this new generation of electric outboards.

Its powered by 3- 50 volt lithium battery packs wired in series. Each battery is in a sealed box 15"x17. The motor is water cooled, as is the controller which housed in a sealed box in the battery compartment.

MN Fisher said:
LDUBS said:

From my point of view it's gonna be like electric cars - great to have...IF you can afford to buy one with all the batteries you'll need to run it.

For the average Joe - we'll still be stuck with gas-eaters.

I won't be surprised if in my kid's lifetimes, it will be the only choice for a new outboard. Better stockpile spare parts!

Batteries need to get a lot better before they become the norm.

Right now, gasoline has about 46 mega-joules of energy per kilogram. lithium ion batteries have about 0.46 Mj/kg. Gasoline has 100x the range for the same weight.

My 40hp outboard will get me about 45 miles on a 6 gallon tank. The same weight of batteries would get me 4-1/2 miles.

Fine if you're not traveling far to fish but for most of us, I don't think they're ready yet.

I fish almost always on electric restricted lakes. They are actually drinking water reservoirs, not true lakes which is why they are electric only waters. If you are fishing total electric more power to you on the investment.

I know that I'm not "saving the planet" by fishing electric. In my area most of our electricity is powered by nuclear, with the balance by fossil fuel.

maintenanceguy said:
Batteries need to get a lot better before they become the norm.

Right now, gasoline has about 46 mega-joules of energy per kilogram. lithium ion batteries have about 0.46 Mj/kg. Gasoline has 100x the range for the same weight.

My 40hp outboard will get me about 45 miles on a 6 gallon tank. The same weight of batteries would get me 4-1/2 miles.

Fine if you're not traveling far to fish but for most of us, I don't think they're ready yet.

That is certainly today's reality. The technology curve is pretty steep. I never thought in my lifetime I would see cars that drive themselves and Dick Tracy watches. But they are here. Even aircraft that fly themselves. And still the underlying issue is how to power all this stuff. I suspect the batteries that will be used 10 years from now haven't been invented yet. Or, we will all have Mr Fusion motors like Doc in Back to the Future! :D

I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another. It is just what I think will happen.

You may well be correct. People have a tendency to do things that make them feel good. Considering that all transportation, which includes cars, trains, trucks, airplanes, and ships accounts for 16% of total CO2 emissions we could all drive EVs and not make much of a dent.

I don't have a problem with owning an EV or electric boat, I just want it to be a choice we all have.

MrGiggles said:
What kind of run time does it get?

I couldn't find anything on their website and am really curious.
My choice of electric power is solely based on the reservoirs I have to fish in. There are 6-7 different lakes that are electric only and most of them are within a 45 minute drive, where as someplace to use a gas engine is at least 1 hr to 90 minute drive so its a no brainer for me.

As has been stated above, the batteries are the week point in any EV set up whether it cars, boats or any other vehicle. That being said my run time vary based on my amperage draw. I made a run of 11-12 miles round trip at 7 mph with plenty of power left in the batteries. I made another run of 5 miles round trip at 18 mph and returned with the same power remaining as my 11 mile trip. So it''s all about amperage draw management.

Latest posts