Steering cable advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriecrappie33

Reaction score
Hello all rookie question, im looking for advice when it comes to steering cables. I need to replace the steering cable on my 16ft deep V (60hp mariner). I use this boat for duck hunting in very cold weather, as of right now the steering gets very stiff. What type of steering cable system should i be looking for??? i was looking at the teleflex (Rack) but the box said recommended for boats with power steering. Is this really just a recommendation? What would be the difference or advantages for example rack vs rotary???

I would suggest calling the companies that make the cables & let them recommend what you need.

eriecrappie33 said:
Hello all rookie question, im looking for advice when it comes to steering cables. I need to replace the steering cable on my 16ft deep V (60hp mariner). I use this boat for duck hunting in very cold weather, as of right now the steering gets very stiff. What type of steering cable system should i be looking for??? i was looking at the teleflex (Rack) but the box said recommended for boats with power steering. Is this really just a recommendation? What would be the difference or advantages for example rack vs rotary???

put back what it has now

Its been a while since I boat raced but when I did it was a coated stainless that had so many strands. The number of strands is what makes the cable very pliable. Go to one of the knee down boat racing sites,they could help you out if no one here can.(Hydroracer.net)

You might just need to clean up the grease area where the cable goes through the motor mount bracket. I had a 90 hp Mercury that was stiff and that grease was pretty solid. If you unbolt the cable at the motor and pull it out, does the wheel turn a lot easier? That mount tube might just need a good cleaning and some new grease.

First off - JL8Jeff is on the right track.
Pull your cable out of the steering tube on the engine and see if it is still stiff. If it is then pull it out of the helm, coil it up and head down to your nearest local dealer and I will bet he has one in stock for you.
If it is free then get busy and clean the old grease and rust out of the steering tube, grease the inner and outer cable and re-install and go boating. A 12GA. cleaning brush works well on the end of an extension and driven by drill. Buy a spare.
Both rotary and rack are close enough in performance that there is no clear advantage of one over another.

Latest posts