steering locked in new project boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado1135

Reaction score
I got a new to me project boat. it's a 1990ish Crestliner 1674 with a 40hp 91 mercury. we got it home yesterday after a 12 hour round trip to pick it up. Boat was owned by a friend and has been sitting the last 10 years under a tarp. wood and carpet needs to be replaced and it feels very heavy so I'm assuming foam does too. transom feels a little soft so I might as well tackle that while I'm at it. I'll take plenty of pics and document the restoration/customization of it and make it's own thread later. For now I'll probably bring up topics individually as I need specific info and include them in my final thread. But for now I have a problem with the steering, it won't budge when I pull on the wheel or motor. it looks to be simple rotary steering system but I've never had to trouble shoot one before. any ideas on why it would be stuck? I'm hoping it's simple but not sure where to start. is there anything I definitely should not do? is there any good diagram of internals so I can try to fix it or is it a lost cause and needs a new one? trying to do a little research before I dive right into it

Start by unbolting the steering arm and see if the outboard rotates freely on the pivot. If it does, the cable is the problem, either where it passes through the outboard clamp bracket, or somewhere along the sheath.

If it is only stuck inside the steering tube on the outboard and the cable is free, beat it out of there and use a rifle bore brush on a drill and some light oil to hone it out, then see how free it is.

If the outboard pivot is seized, try applying some heat with a heat gun or propane torch and hit it with a grease gun.

That worked!
Thank you, it was actually simpler than I thought it would be now that you explained it. luckily when I disconnected the steering arm the motor turned freely. I still want to clean it up a little more, but it worked to loosen it up and verify function.

Colorado1135 said:
I still want to clean it up a little more, but it worked to loosen it up and verify function.
Yes, a 12-gauge shotgun cleaning brush on a cleaning rod section with a cordless drill will clean the heck out of the ID of the tilt tube. Re-lube all well with the blue-colored waterproof synthetic grease sold by OMC/Bombardier called 'Triple Guard', get a huge tub for $10 or so. All OB makers sell it, but the non-US OB brands sell 1/3rd of much for 2-3X the price :shock: .

Then add a 'Steersman' cable guard to the end of the tile tube to prevent it from happening again.

Steersman.jpg

Latest posts