Still giving me issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishpride42

Reaction score
So this is a continuation of this thread....

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13928

I did Wishbones advice just recently which was.....

WISHBONE said:
I have built thousands of carbs and engines over the years and have a simple solution so you dont have to take the carb out and tear it down. Most of the time and I mean most of the time the fuel mixture needle which enters into the Jet gets gunk on it and when the needle goes out as you open the throttle it can be gummed up which is allowing more air and not enough fuel. Go to your local auto parts store or Walfart and get yourself some of the top notch fuel treatment CLEANER, not the 2 dollar crap, more like the 8-16 dollar range.

Poor the entire bottle in your gasoline tank. Before you start your motor, make sure you have a couple things in place. Water of course, plenty of water on hand in your bucket that you have your prop in. I like to use a fan blowing on the engine with the engine cover off for cooling purposes. Last but not least a time watch to tell time. Start the motor and run at lowest setting for roughly 10-12 minutes, take it up to half throttle and let that run for 10-12 minutes then take it back down to idle for a quick 2-3 minute break. Last but not least run it at the highest throttle setting without killing the motor and let that run for 10-12 minutes.

As you are going along with the throttle setting to WOT you want to be very careful as to not kill the motor.The trick that we are trying to accomplish is to get the needle crystal clean and it works for me most of the time. Unless when you were rebuilding the carb you either got something lodged in the needle such as old gasket material, and or a rip in a gasket seeping air, or even the float not adjusted right. This is the least invasive procedure and works like a charm. Let me know how things go and if we need to investigate further.

WISHBONE OUT

I had to use some carb cleaner to get it to fire up the first few times but finally got it to run constant and start on a regular basis.....at the house. Thanksgiving morning we took it out on it maiden duck hunt and low a behold the motor gave us a fit again. Apparently it will run fine at the house but once it gets under load it is right back to where we left off. Luckily enough I had a bottle of carb cleaner on the boat and was able to get from point A to point B on a short boat ride to hunt. Anyhow with that being said it is obvious now that the carb IS NOT getting gas as it should. I am not sure if the line is too long and the pump can't handle it, if I need to replace the bulb and line completely, or put a electric pump on. I am stumped yet again. Just doesnt make any sense at all because we have replaced the pump already but it seems like that is the issue. Any ideas????

Better be careful using the carb cleaner.Quickest way to trash a motor.
Have you tried to run your motor in a barrel at home?If your fuel line has a long run I take off the connector to the motor & squeeze the primer bulb to make sure I get all the air out of the line.Make sure fuel pump is pumping.

Latest posts