structural integrity compromised

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpm

Reaction score
Boat is a 1976 u14 Valco 62 inch beam with 3 bench seats. Will removing the middle seat compromise the integrity of the boat in a significant way? I am 83 and dont like to step over the beach when i move around in the boat because of a compromised balance system incident to age.

Jerry

Hi Jerry. I think it will definitely change the rigidity of the hull, but you could likely do a partial removal of the center bit of the seat? Lund did a layout where there was a walking space through the middle, with seats still on the sides. If it is done carefully, I don’t think you would lose too much going that route. I would cut the center 18” or so out, and then cap the edges of what you cut. Below is a photo of the current Lund SSV 16’. It’s what I was thinking about.

I saw that after. Mods should have deleted this thread... but plenty of others suggested the same thing, so at least he got the idea proposed to him.

Redthies said:
I saw that after. Mods should have deleted this thread... but plenty of others suggested the same thing, so at least he got the idea proposed to him.

Having the pic is good though. My old boat had that walkthrough bench arrangement. It really does make life easier.

Latest posts