Stuck throttle on Evinrude 15, pull start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdug

Reaction score
I bought a "parts" engine because I have a '92 Evinrude 15, electric start, and the parts engine seems to be the same vintage, I will check the numbers to see what it actually is, certainly not newer than my'92.
The parts engine was said to be "running" 5 years ago when stored under cover. We'll see.
I started investigating it to see if I could actually get it running.
First, the throttle twist grip is completely stuck. Depressing the detents on the handle, after generous spray lube overnight, while my best girl pulls and wiggles on the handle yielded a zero movement. Maybe the detents are not being depressed enough. I'm hesitant to hammer on them very much.
OK, so since it may help isolate the problem, I would like to disconnect the connector ball at the end of the throttle shaft. I clearly don't have the right tool for that. A big screwdriver wouldn't lever apart that connection. Again, I'm hesitant to be hammering on anything. I have a HISTORY of making more trouble for myself. Between the ball connection and the throttle twist grip, there seems to be another spot that may be frozen and I'm not at all sure about how to get some lube in there to free it up.
And if the throttle linkage is NOT the problem then the next step is...?
All suggestions considered here.
doug

Welcome to the forum.
First off. In here we do things right, not half way. So.............You will have to physically remove the handle if you are sure that is stuck.
The only tools you should need are a 3/8" socket and a 9/16" open end if memory serves me correct. That will separate the ball gears.
To get the hand grip off there should be a single screw if you still have the gears instead of a throttle cable. By the way your engine is probably around the mid-80s vintage.

Thanks Pappy,
The motor turns out to be a '92. I got the twist throttle off, at least all the removable parts and got the ball connection apart at the end of throttle shaft. The throttle shaft is still unmovable.

You can't move the throttle if it's in gear. Maybe check that part of the linkage to make sure it's operating correctly before digging too deep.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Okay. There are two throttle shafts. One is vertical and is on the side of the powerhead. The other is in the tiller handle assembly. Which one is still stuck? Am assuming the one in the handle assembly?
A 1992 15hp has the throttle cable style handle assembly, not the older gear and shaft style.

Latest posts