thinking about buying a kayak

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billinthedesert said:
I am yakless right now, but if I get another, I am looking hard at the new Pelican Catch 100, a 10-foot boat with lots of stability and a very good seating system. It is relatively lightweight, and retails for $650. Good luck. It is just a hoot to catch fish from these little boats.
Sorry to revive an old thread.
Did you ever pull the string on the Catch 100?

If you have open water or access to a swimming pool...so you can give a yak a try...

......this is the very best time to be looking at last year's new yaks; demos; and OPBs (Other people's boats). New models are coming out daily. Rental places are replacing their rental yaks; some guys "need" to buy the newest and are selling their present yaks

If you can't give a yak a float trip, it is always "iffy" to buy one that you haven't tried, IMHO. I've owned a number of them but will want to sea-trial any future boats/yaks. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy one without a trial, but I think I know my criteria better than a rank newbie.

Thanks for the tip. Have been in a Prescador pro 10 and what I am considering is 2" wider and even flatter. Stability over speed. I do very small water. It was new in 2018, so nothing used. I'm not breaking the bank, anyway.

It always amazes me how often advice is given on picking a yak, without any knowledge or consideration of the size; weight; balance; or flexibility of the potential kayaker.

All of those things come into play.

What's as amazing is the many forums I have read that goes something like this "I am 6'6" and weigh 280 lb. Do you think a 10' kayak will work?" or
I am 6'2" and come in at 285 lb. Do you think I can stand in a 12' brand x kayak?"

Great info! Thanks guys. I sold my Tin back in the fall and I'm in the Market for a new Kayak. I thought I was stuck paying $3K for a Hobie. Now I'm just researching a clean way to install a Fish Finder without a lot of clutter.

bcritch said:
Great info! Thanks guys. I sold my Tin back in the fall and I'm in the Market for a new Kayak. I thought I was stuck paying $3K for a Hobie. Now I'm just researching a clean way to install a Fish Finder without a lot of clutter.

Lord have mercy! You're back! :beer: Hope all is well bud!

bcritch said:

Don't get caught up in the Hobie frenzy without doing a lot of research. They are great boats, but the alternatives are multiplying. There is hours of reading on various forums, and you will find most brands have an owner facebook page. Great info there as well. There are several yaks that have a built in spot for a transducer, and those that don't is not a difficult work around. Used ones are starting to pop up as owners are upgrading with spring close.

Jim said:
bcritch said:

Lord have mercy! You're back! :beer: Hope all is well bud!

:LOL2: I sneak on as a guest once in a while but I'll start contributing again. All is well and I hope the same for you! :beer

WV1951 said:
bcritch said:

Don't get caught up in the Hobie frenzy without doing a lot of research. They are great boats, but the alternatives are multiplying. There is hours of reading on various forums, and you will find most brands have an owner facebook page. Great info there as well. There are several yaks that have a built in spot for a transducer, and those that don't is not a difficult work around. Used ones are starting to pop up as owners are upgrading with spring close.

I've been looking around a lot and reading up on everything. I like that a few guys on here recommended their Yaks as an alternative to the Hobies. I'm researching the In Hull vs. Thru Hull transducers now. I definitely want an In Hull Transducer.

You guys need to stop this talk of Kayaks. This is a Tin site.

I have been looking at a Kayak myself. :LOL2: I have a cheapie $200 dollar one, but I need a nicer, more comfortable one.

I would think we would welcome the chance for more contributors. Maybe have a separate section for kayak discussions. BBC has a numbe rof discussions on yaks. I have seen many hunting forums with fishing discussion threads and visa versa.
Kayak fishing is a growing industry by leaps and bounds. I'll keep my tinnie, but hoping to supplement it with a yak.

Just an observation about the Hobies versus other types of pedal yaks....( I own neither)...

since a lot of my saltwater flats fishing would be in ultra shallow, 3 to 5-inch water, the Hobie propulsion fins seem to be the ONLY ones that can fold flat. The other propeller style pedal yaks appear to have to be pulled up and out of the way when in extremely shallow water. I certainly haven't looked at all of them, so I may be incorrect.

There are a couple of comparisons of the major 3 or 4 pedal yaks on Youtube.

Incidentally, there is a new yak/boat... named the JONNY... It hasn't been seen in real life yet, but they are advertising on Facebook. According to the little that I have found...it is made of kayak plastic (good); it is priced around $700/$800 barebones; it will support 400 lbs ..which is the minimum that a 250 lb guy ought to look for IMHO; it will handle paddles; trolling motor and or even a 2.5 h.p. outboard.

The guys at ACK (Austin Canoe & Kayak) say they will carry it when it is available.

I will certainly look at it and will try to get a trial ride when I can.

We got into kayaking. After renting a few big names like me and current designs, and a couple others, I paddled a winner strider that belonged to a friend. The strider is a 10' boat but it tracks way better than its length would indicate. As a purely recreational boat it's a little heavier than the more sport oriented brands. As a fishing yak, it's pretty good, sit in design and comes with adjustable rod holders very stable and an excellent seat. Next model up, the strider xl boasts 12' and an upgraded seat that looks like a lawn chair. We chose the 10' ones because we can slide them in our camper. Winners are Chinese imports. But at half the price or less than other brands and with a 5 year hull warranty I felt it was a good deal for entry level kayaking. Way better than a pelican. Hull feels solid and you don't mind dragging it over rocks. Just my two cents, they are worth a look. They also make sit on tops if that is your preference.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Agreed on getting in and out. Mine are stored away but this is the same model. It's pretty easy to get in and out. I'm in Canada and early season water is cold So I appreciate the drier ride.
e68dc8171f9e2af832edd9d9ed220825.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts