Thinking of adding a tunnel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creekchub

Reaction score
I bought a late 90’s war eagle 16 with a 45 Merc jet. The boat gets on plane quick and seems to run pretty skinny.

However, I’m interested in getting a tunnel installed. I run the James and New rivers in VA and rock ledges are always a concern. I know most of the waters I fish pretty well but do explore new sections sometimes and would like a little extra protection.

Does adding a tunnel drop the top speed any? My boat isn’t a flat bottom and has a slight rise in the bow, if that’s the right terminology. Any other concerns that I should think about before making a decision to add a tunnel?

Many thanks

I think you might lose a little buoyancy with a tunnel unless you added pods as well. I'm not sure about losing speed, I've never been worried about speed in my fishing boat. My Lowe has the jet tunnel, the Merc 60/45 jet and is a 1652 so probably very similar to what you would end up with if you added the tunnel. It looks like my boat draws around 8-9" of water sitting at the dock. I have my console forward with the battery under it to get weight up front. Pods would help but probably slow you down a little. You would need to raise the motor which might require adding to the transom or a riser plate. The tunnel would also need drain holes on each side vs the single one in the middle. The motor will still hang down enough to smack rocks but most likely be less damage if you hit. Here are some pictures of my boat.

lowe_trimmed1.jpgLowe_motor1.jpgLowe_tunnel2.jpgLowe_1652_5.jpg

I call all Jet Drives...... Vacuum cleaners of the bottoms.

Ever hear of a big jet drive go over a CLAM SHELL BED ? Sounds just like a big wood chipper screaming.

Go see James River jets near you. They can do the work right the first time. You won't run shallower with a tunnel, but you will protect your jet foot from damage with one. You may lose 1-2 mph.

I bought a late 90’s war eagle 16 with a 45 Merc jet. The boat gets on plane quick and seems to run pretty skinny.

However, I’m interested in getting a tunnel installed. I run the James and New rivers in VA and rock ledges are always a concern. I know most of the waters I fish pretty well but do explore new sections sometimes and would like a little extra protection.

Does adding a tunnel drop the top speed any? My boat isn’t a flat bottom and has a slight rise in the bow, if that’s the right terminology. Any other concerns that I should think about before making a decision to add a tunnel?

Many thanks

Latest posts