thru-hull drain hole

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieLearns

Reaction score
I just inherited an old 14 foot aluminum rowboat. I keep the boat on a hoist all summer. The transom hole is on the extreme left side which is not the lowest point of the boat. When it rains the water puddles up in the back of the boat until it reaches the transom hole. I used to have an old aluminum Arkansas Traveler which had a metal thru-hull drain hole mounted in the floor. The hole went vertical into the floor and then went backwards beneath the hull of the boat. Does anyone know where I can find a thru-hull drain hole like that? All I see on the internet are the threaded screw ones.

Thanks

First thought is to cut a hole in the base of the transom and install a bulkhead fitting with a threaded pipe plug. Pretty easy and the parts are easy to source.

I'd figure out how to hoist the boat so the hull angles to the left and most of the water drains. Make one cable shorter then the other, raise one side higher then the other, if it's like a radiational lift I'd add a 2x4 to one side so it sits tilted to the one side. I never want to add extra holes, especially in the bottom.

I rhink your refering to the old models where the plug went down thru the bottom and there was a half clamshell cover on the bottom, while underway, it litterally sucked the water out !!! Cutting a hole is easy, plug is easy, finding the clamshell cover for the bottom might be the hard part. I know there is a better name for the clamshell cover but mind is drawing a blank right now.

If my post is what you have in mind, they are called clamshell drain covers !! Availiable lots of places even Amazon. I had one in an old jon boat when I was a , after a good rain, I woukd go for a ride, while underway, pop out the plug and the water was sucked out like a vacuum cleaner !! With your lift, just leave the plug out....but make yourself a note to put it back in before dropping the boat in the water !!

Try looking at GreatLakesSkipper.com

I just sold a boat like that. I just kicked it off to one side on the bunks, so that it tilted and it drained just fine.

Latest posts