Tin Boat Overkill

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txboomer

Reaction score
I am enjoying the retirement life on a central Texas lake. I have a 1980's 12ft Lowe V-Hull Sport with a 9.9hp Merc. (w/ Dolphin Planer). I have modified the boat by removing the center bench and and installed a short post seat and added storage boxes along one of the sides and added flooring to make it level to walk on. I reconfigured my transom mount tm into a bow mount and added an additional battery in front of the front bench. My electronics consist of a lowrance 3x sonar ff on the transom and a lowrance 3x DSI with the transducer mounted on the forward tm. My next project is to build a portable ice chest livewell. I use I-Bolts in the oar-locks to attach my anchors or tie-off to trees. I have an aft battery that I use for my motor, bow and anchor lights and the bilge. I am currently using a 2 gallon gas tank but have the 6 gallon tank standing by if I feel the need to put in some extra miles. The lake has plenty of access so it is easier to drive and launch then spend all day cruising. If you use a 9.9 hp motor you know what I mean. Total cost including boat, trailer, tm and all the additions puts it at roughly $1500 (includes crazy registration fees). So my question is..........How much is too much to spend on a tin boat before cutting my loss and upgrading to a larger sportsman boat..ie Tracker or used Bass boat.....Is there a point that you have to decide to move up to the next class of boat ownership?

I would say when the boat no longer fits Your needs.
I don't think You can put a price on that.
Just My thought's.

Steve A W

If you add too much stuff/weight to a small boat or near/over the capacity it can get crowded and unsafe especially w wind and waves. I like to have a boat suited to the size of water it will see and possible winds/wakes/chop/storms. A small boat is fine for small lakes/rivers, but a larger boat has more freeboard, more seaworthy/safe and more space for people, gear and mods = more fun! :lol:

If you have the means, and can sell your boat and move up to a 16 foot bass/crappie boat with 25+ HP , then do it for sure. If the water you fish are hp restricted then maybe move up to a 14 footer?

decision decisions decisions! :LOL2:

I've bought and sold over 25 boats in a 50 year period. Fairly often, I've rued the day I sold a number of them. They did the job. They didn't cost me much ( much like your boat). Their replacements had issues.

( All boats have issues. But a known issue is better than a new, unknown issue. )

I have never put a top value or limit on whatever I do to my boats. I usually sold them for near what I had in them, and that was after getting a few years use out of the boat, too.

As long as that little boat allows you to fish and enjoy the water....I wouldn't be looking around for a "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" boat.

regards, richg99

You are in the same boat (figuratively) as I am. I have a 1648 that I have done a bit of work to but now would like something a bit bigger and with controls (i.e. not a tiller motor). I have done a bit of research and found that adding controls to my boat will cost me far more than it is worth. My plan now is to find a larger project boat and keep my jon till I can get the Tracker or whatever I find ready for the lake. I live near two large lakes (Kentucky & Barkley) and I have been keeping an eye on the boats that are parked next to houses that appear to be in the same place for a long time (grass under them taller than around them or with junk piled on them) and have two good leads so far by just knocking on the door and asking if they would like to sell the boat. One thing to keep in mind is registering an old boat. Here in KY boats are titled and it is close to impossible to get a new or replacement title if you are not the last registered owner. I had to give up on one boat because the fellow who had it was not the last owner and could not contact the last owner to do the paperwork.

Good luck and keep us up to date on what you decide. btw: Pictures always help and are always appreciated.

I just parted with my baby - a 12' custom decked Alumacraft called Miss Peach (you can see the build log here https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21408). I've now have 2 small kids and didn't really feel safe taking them out on the lake in such a small boat. I talked to my boss (wife) and she agreed that we could look into something more suitable for the family. I listed Miss Peach on Craigslist and several other sites and had her sold within a week. I sold her for about what I had in her (not including all the time I spent working on her). It broke my heart to part with my baby. That night, I found a replacement on Craigslist. I added about $1000 to what I made on Miss Peach and upgraded to a 19' Stratos Fish and Ski with a 150 that fits the whole family. I'd say it's time to start looking for something bigger. You will be much happier in the end.

-Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,262
Sorry for the delay....Been building a driveway. Here she is..."Put the Plug In"....Sorry for all the extra photos. I haven't figured out how to take pictures with my phone...
I bought her last years spring for $1000....Boat,motor,tm and trailer. She's a 1982 12ft Lowe Sport V. Current value, she is up to $1500 with the add-ons...I found some pretty good "used" deals to keep the cost down. The flooring is 1/4 plywood on top of rigid foam for stability. The side storage boxes are also 1/4 plywood with 2x2 support. I used the thinner plywood to keep the weight down.

Attachments

• myboat.jpg
    myboat.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,184
Nice job. One comment though. I noticed the Life Vest on the seat. Get an inflatable. I got my first at the end of last season and will never use a foam jacket again. The first time I took mine out I put it on as I was launching and when I got home after testing the boat (raised the OB about an inch) I realized I still had it on. I have two now, an automatic for the jon and a manual for when I use my canoes or my float tube.

I doesn't matter how big of a boat you get, you'll outgrow it too if you use it to it's potential. It's a vicious circle that the manufactures depend on. LOL. As for how much is too much to put into a boat, only you can answer that. If it no longer meets your needs, then it's time for a bigger hole in which to throw your money.

Thanks for all the advice.....That was pretty much what I figured but just curious. I don't tempt gravity or mother nature when it comes to weather or weight. With its small size I try to keep it close to shore if not on it (we have plenty of jet skis and wakeboarders that keep it pretty choppy). Clint....I would have to use the manual inflation PFD's due to my clumsiness, I would be popping CO2 carts left and right
I feel I have max'ed out the necessary equipment for a boat of this size and still be able to enjoy it with the wife or grandkids, (1 wife or 2 small grandkids)....or maybe a skinny son-in-law. This will definitely be my putt around the lake boat.
Thanks again.......Tight Lines!

Latest posts