Tinytach?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the posts ...never knew that ill give it a try also
plus someone said not to run your cable to close to your coil may be some interference there

Well, I hate to say it, but my Tiny Tach is packaged up and will be returned via UPS to the Tiny Tach Company tomorrow.

I tried every way possible to get my Tiny Tach to give an accurate low speed reading, but, nothing worked. The lowest RPM reading was alway in the 1200s.

With the idle readings not truely reflecting the actual motor RPM, I was afraid the wide open readings might also be inaccurate. I was planning changing the pitch of my propeller and didn't want to exceed 6000 RPM.

The Tiny Tach I received may have been defective, or it is possible that my Nissan motor is somehow sending out stray signals that were affecting the Tiny Tach's RPM readings.

The Tiny Tach people were very helpful and are issuing a full refund against my credit card. A person can't ask for anything more than that! Therefore, I rank the Tiny Tach Company a great company to do business with! =D>

Yours is the first failed performance that I have heard of (outside premature battery failure).

Those tachs are wildly popular on duck hunting boats of the members from another forum I frequent.

Quackrstackr said:
Yours is the first failed performance that I have heard of (outside premature battery failure).

Those tachs are wildly popular on duck hunting boats of the members from another forum I frequent.

Well, what can I say? Maybe, if I had any luck at all...it would be bad? :lol:

I did have a couple of people contact me that said their Tiny Tachs also didn't give correct low speed readings. However, the WOT readings, and the hour meter were right on, so they were happy with their Tiny Tachs. (I don't know if Zum is still unhappy with his Tiny Tach)

I have asked the Tiny Tach Company to let me know the results when they tested my returned unit. If the unit is defective I might order another one. It the return unit is not defective then I will know that it was my motor causing the problem...and ordering a second unit wouldn't be a good idea! :shock:

not to sure yet;
went out and bought some muffs so I could work with it at home.

Re-ran my wires away from the coils,tried all kinds of different variations of wraps around the plug wire.The only way I could get a reading of what I thought it was idling at(600rpm)was if i held the red wire next to the spark plug cap.I couldn't try it at WOT because your not suppose to run your outboard above 1500rpm when on the muffs and I wasnt getting a good flow of water out the pee hole so I shut it down.
Right now I have the red wire attached to the spark plug cap with a wire tie.Hopefully I'll get on the water tomorrow to try it out;my hopes aren't high on it working.

On a side note looks like I might have to change my water impellor or maybe the thermostat.Man these outboards are fun:).

I wanted for the same reason as you,to see if the prop I was running was right.I think it was 22 bucks to ship to Nova Scotia so i doubt I send i back, maybe you will see it on ebay someday,never tried that B4.

the wire tie has been working
i havnt trimmed any extra wire off yet and probably wont if it keeps on working....just having trouble trusting it because of how i have it attached...going by the tach and the fact the one inch more pitch slows your rpm down by 200rpm...i need aleast two sizes bigger...i'm running a 12 probably will go to a 14,hopefully bringing my rpm's down to 5600

darn motor died on me today,never brought my sparkplug wrench.had to troll about an hour to get back to the launch.probably have to clean the carb,never done that before but i'm going to give it a try if the new plugs don't work....stuipd me used 5month old gas with some new stuff hoping it would be okay

Zum, that is good news about the red wire working OK on the spark plug cap! I wish I had tried that before I returned my Tiny Tach.

Even buying all new gasoline doesn't always ensure that you will be fuel problem free. Last September I bought fresh gasoline from a little lake side store, and in the middle of the lake my motor also quit running.

Lots of water and trash was in the gasoline. Oh yes...I paddled and drifted with the wind until I drifted into a marina...where a guy towed me back to my campsite! Paddling sure isn't much fun is it! :cry:

I have since installed a water/fuel separator filter kit ($20.00) which was highly recommended by several motor repairmen.

i didn't have to paddle,trolling motor saved me
and gas being $1.35/liter...ill probably do it again next year to Jim:)

always wanted to take the carb apart anyways...hope i can get it back together:)

Zum said:
always wanted to take the carb apart anyways...hope i can get it back together:)

Whenever I take a carb apart all I ever end up with is a bag of assorted parts and a trip to the service center. :oops:

Latest posts