Tohatsu 30hp vs Yamaha F25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterguy86

Reaction score
I have a 1448 xpress with a 2020 Yamaha F25 mounted on a cmc PT35 power tilt unit. It has a powertech SRA3 that’s about a 9 pitch. It was tuned by a prop shop and had cup added to allow me to run the motor up a little higher since I run the flats in the Texas coast. I’m considering swapping to the new Tohatsu 30hp with built in power tilt and going with a jack plate.

The Yamaha runs just fine but could use a little more power. With my gf, myself and a load of fishing or hunting gear, I can run about 20-22 mph. If we add her 10 year old boy, the boat struggles to plane out.

I’m wondering if it’s worth it to sell the Yamaha and get the Tohatsu. What are y’all’s thoughts?

Below are some pictures of the boat.

Attachments

• 12E6730E-7036-4B61-A5DE-7D88F230D6F1.jpeg
    12E6730E-7036-4B61-A5DE-7D88F230D6F1.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 09EEFBA6-D57D-45E3-8CE8-B495E0DF0D8F.jpeg
    09EEFBA6-D57D-45E3-8CE8-B495E0DF0D8F.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2A460B14-92D6-45A3-B880-AA2CF088F5C9.jpeg
    2A460B14-92D6-45A3-B880-AA2CF088F5C9.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 3
I have yet to see any real world reviews on the new 25/30 Tohatsus since they lightened them up but I hope someone with some first hand knowledge chimes in.

What hp is that hull rated for?

I have yet to see any real world reviews on the new 25/30 Tohatsus since they lightened them up but I hope someone with some first hand knowledge chimes in.

What hp is that hull rated for?
It’s rated for a 25. I’m fine with 5hp over. This boat has had a 2 stroke 30 and a 2 stroke 50 in the past with no issues.

The new D model tohatsu is pretty intriguing. The opinion of the shop I spoke with was that the new 3 cylinder should make more torque than my current Yamaha and it has a lower gear ratio in the lower unit (which is true, just not by much). Both of these factors should help turn a prop with a little higher of a pitch.

I’m just really trying to find out if the juice is worth the squeeze to replace a motor that only has 100 hours on it.

Get a 2nd prop that's 2" lower in pitch than the one you have. So if you are running a 15 pitch, buy a 13 pitch. Swap to the "power prop" anytime you have extra people on board. It works well with smaller motors.

Do you have a tach and if so what are your rpms at wot with the full load? I've had good luck so far with the Cheap Chinese tiny tach knock offs. I have a 1548 but your boat looks heavier. With a 2020 f25 I ran a 11" Sra3 but I let it go with the motor when I upgraded to the power trim model. It did have excellent grip but it was slower than the aluminum prop and the Stiletto 12" (by 2-3 mph) I ended up keeping. Because of the rake on the Sra it is harder to spin and would porpoise when i had a passenger. I had to drop the trim pin 1 notch. That's after putting pencil rolls on the bottom and moving as much weight forward as I could. I agree 5 hp isn't much unless it's under rated. More torque is always nice. Empty I hit 6150 and will hit the rev limit on occasion but I rarely run empty. 5800-5900 depending on the load.

It’s rated for a 25. I’m fine with 5hp over. This boat has had a 2 stroke 30 and a 2 stroke 50 in the past with no issues.

The new D model tohatsu is pretty intriguing. The opinion of the shop I spoke with was that the new 3 cylinder should make more torque than my current Yamaha and it has a lower gear ratio in the lower unit (which is true, just not by much). Both of these factors should help turn a prop with a little higher of a pitch.

I’m just really trying to find out if the juice is worth the squeeze to replace a motor that only has 100 hours on it.
Have you gotten a quote yet? I have a 2020 F25 as well. Before buying, I was comparing it to the Tohatsu 25 and the Tohatsu was a lot more. Like almost $1000 more if I remember right. I didn't look at the 30hp since we are restricted to 25hp on the two local lakes I fish but I would bet it is another $500+. I can't imagine the price difference is worth it.

Do you know if the 30 comes standard with tilt/trim? If so you could maybe sell the CMC to offset the cost some.

Get a 2nd prop that's 2" lower in pitch than the one you have. So if you are running a 15 pitch, buy a 13 pitch. Swap to the "power prop" anytime you have extra people on board. It works well with smaller motors.
I have also considered this option as well but I’m not sure if they make a lower pitch than I already have. The pitch in my current prop is about a 9. The prop shop started with an 11 and kept bringing it down until we got to where we are now.

Do you have a tach and if so what are your rpms at wot with the full load? I've had good luck so far with the Cheap Chinese tiny tach knock offs. I have a 1548 but your boat looks heavier. With a 2020 f25 I ran a 11" Sra3 but I let it go with the motor when I upgraded to the power trim model. It did have excellent grip but it was slower than the aluminum prop and the Stiletto 12" (by 2-3 mph) I ended up keeping. Because of the rake on the Sra it is harder to spin and would porpoise when i had a passenger. I had to drop the trim pin 1 notch. That's after putting pencil rolls on the bottom and moving as much weight forward as I could. I agree 5 hp isn't much unless it's under rated. More torque is always nice. Empty I hit 6150 and will hit the rev limit on occasion but I rarely run empty. 5800-5900 depending on the load.
I have the F25 connected to my Lowrance graph via NMEA 2000 network so I can see engine info. With a heavy load I’m at about 5k. Solo with a light fishing load or my heavier hunting load, I turn 5600 and run 22-24 mph. It doesn’t change all that much with a passenger under 200 pounds. I can get more RPM if I trim up but the boat will actually decrease in top speed. When passenger weight is 250lbs or over is when the trouble starts.

I did find that if I run in shallower water (2’ or less) the boat picks up speed and runs a whole heck of a lot better. I assume it’s from the extra lift from the bottom.

The motor is set back with the power tilt unit. Trimmed all the way down, the cavitation plate is about 2” above the bottom of the boat. The boat also has pods that are welded flush with the bottom of the boat. Some of my perceived issues could be from motor height and/or drag from the pods.

My ultimate goals are to be able to plane and run 20-25 with 2 adults and one kid and a hunting load. (5dz decoys, shotguns etc)

I’d also like to get close to 30 solo and I need to run as shallow as I can to get into some of the spots I want to go.

I don't think you will find a prop that will run as high as the Sra 3 with out ventilating. Almost every power tech I've tried on my boats ran like other props with 1" more pitch. I tried 5 props before I ended up with the Stiletto (bought used) and its a 12 but turned more rpms than the 11 Sra. You might find a 9 or 10 in another brand or style( less rake)that will be better for take off and top end but not run as high. I tried an older 10p power tech (discontinued) not sure the model and it was a rocket on take off but topped out at 26 with plenty throttle left. I was fortunate enough to have the dealer and buddies let try props so I didn't have to buy without knowing. The closer to 6000 rpms you can get, the better it will run. Its worth trying. I checked out the Tohatsu 30 and it looks like it has everything you could want. Bigger displacement, 3 cylinders, higher rev limit. I wish I hadn't seen it although I'm curious about the price!

Ps . I had a 90 Yamaha that had an 18p prop and we repitched down to a 15 to try to get the rpms up and it only made a 200 rpm difference. It was still sluggish. I've always heard 2" is the most you should go but even that should have done more than it did. Repitching isn't always the same as having the prop come from the factory with that pitch.

I have the F25 connected to my Lowrance graph via NMEA 2000 network so I can see engine info. With a heavy load I’m at about 5k. Solo with a light fishing load or my heavier hunting load, I turn 5600 and run 22-24 mph. It doesn’t change all that much with a passenger under 200 pounds. I can get more RPM if I trim up but the boat will actually decrease in top speed. When passenger weight is 250lbs or over is when the trouble starts.

I did find that if I run in shallower water (2’ or less) the boat picks up speed and runs a whole heck of a lot better. I assume it’s from the extra lift from the bottom.

The motor is set back with the power tilt unit. Trimmed all the way down, the cavitation plate is about 2” above the bottom of the boat. The boat also has pods that are welded flush with the bottom of the boat. Some of my perceived issues could be from motor height and/or drag from the pods.

My ultimate goals are to be able to plane and run 20-25 with 2 adults and one kid and a hunting load. (5dz decoys, shotguns etc)

I’d also like to get close to 30 solo and I need to run as shallow as I can to get into some of the spots I want to go.
Mow dah lawn ,pencil rolls on the bottom ???

I don't think you will find a prop that will run as high as the Sra 3 with out ventilating. Almost every power tech I've tried on my boats ran like other props with 1" more pitch. I tried 5 props before I ended up with the Stiletto (bought used) and its a 12 but turned more rpms than the 11 Sra. You might find a 9 or 10 in another brand or style( less rake)that will be better for take off and top end but not run as high. I tried an older 10p power tech (discontinued) not sure the model and it was a rocket on take off but topped out at 26 with plenty throttle left. I was fortunate enough to have the dealer and buddies let try props so I didn't have to buy without knowing. The closer to 6000 rpms you can get, the better it will run. Its worth trying. I checked out the Tohatsu 30 and it looks like it has everything you could want. Bigger displacement, 3 cylinders, higher rev limit. I wish I hadn't seen it although I'm curious about the price!

Ps . I had a 90 Yamaha that had an 18p prop and we repitched down to a 15 to try to get the rpms up and it only made a 200 rpm difference. It was still sluggish. I've always heard 2" is the most you should go but even that should have done more than it did. Repitching isn't always the same as having the prop come from the factory with that pitch.
Moe da lawn your correct on the repitching
Prop.. we only can change the outter 1/3 of the blade mostly..
And that’s where the speed comes from..
I have changed a 13 down to a 9
On a alm merc prop
But I had to (cut )and heat prop next to exhaust hub barrel area and reweld..after Repitching
Or it would of cracked blade right off..
This was on a 25 merc 2 stroke
On a nitro fiberglass bass boat. 16 -17’
It did alot better ..
Instead of just plowing water ,
And taking forever to get on plane..
So yes it’s only advisable to repitch 2 degrees up or down..
I did that work on a buddy’s prop that agreed that if I snapped a blade off
I wouldn’t have to rebuy him a new prop..

I have a 1448 xpress with a 2020 Yamaha F25 mounted on a cmc PT35 power tilt unit. It has a powertech SRA3 that’s about a 9 pitch. It was tuned by a prop shop and had cup added to allow me to run the motor up a little higher since I run the flats in the Texas coast. I’m considering swapping to the new Tohatsu 30hp with built in power tilt and going with a jack plate.

The Yamaha runs just fine but could use a little more power. With my gf, myself and a load of fishing or hunting gear, I can run about 20-22 mph. If we add her 10 year old boy, the boat struggles to plane out.

I’m wondering if it’s worth it to sell the Yamaha and get the Tohatsu. What are y’all’s thoughts?

Below are some pictures of the boat.
Hunter guy is your 25 the model with the bigger gear case like the 40? Kinda like mercs Bigfoot?

Mow dah lawn ,pencil rolls on the bottom ???
Sorry about! You take jb weld or fast steel and make 2 round pieces about the size of a pencil or slightly bigger and stick them to the bottom of the boat at the transom. It acts like a trim tab but less drag. It allowed me get to a neutral trim position with a passenger and slightly positive by myself. The only drawback is it kicks up a spray.

Attachments

• 20230304_074954.jpg
    20230304_074954.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 3
Try a composite prop, might even be able to go up in pitch a little as they're four bladed. Less expensive experiment and if nothing else you'll have an emergency prop.
http://comprop.com/
I’ve used piranha props before and carry one as a spare in the boat. I like them but they wear out quickly on the coast due to the sand bottom.

During duck season, I consistently ran in water 2’ or less to get to some of the holes I wanted to hunt. With the setup I have now, I can run in 10” of water if I’m on plane.

I just need more power to get on plane with a load and some more top end speed.

I know its only 5hp but that 20% more when talking about a 25hp. On a 1448 Im thinking you should push 30mph.

FWIW, I went a little higher than my rated HP, but went with a lighter motor, and it is well-balanced and runs awesomely. I am super happy with the outcome. It really depends on the hull, though. I'm not recommending it, just sharing my experience.

Hunter guy 86, is that a 24 volt trolling motor? Do you have a large deep cycle battery or batteries plus a large cranking battery? I run 32mph by myself (170lbs) and 29-30 with a 200 lb passenger, small ice chest, tool box, anchor etc. I use a small lawn battery for cranking and was using a small interstate DC from Academy for the trolling motor. Every little bit adds up quickly on a small boat. More hp may be the best cure but even then you'll want to maximize your performance.

Last edited:

Latest posts