Tohatsu 30hp vs Yamaha F25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I went a little higher than my rated HP, but went with a lighter motor, and it is well-balanced and runs awesomely. I am super happy with the outcome. It really depends on the hull, though. I'm not recommending it,hjust sharing my experience.
Wont be a problem unless you have a bad accident, then an attorney will have hayday because you were overpowered!!

Boat insurance policy likely has a "seaworthiness" exclusion. The wording is such that exceeding the HP rating might fall into this category. Don't want to be a buzz kill. Just be aware. Maybe check it out.

My concern would be serious accident, mabey not his fault. Somevyears back was in a non at fault accident with my boat. First thing the other ins co attorney didvwas to come check out my boats BIA plate and motor to see if I was overloaded or more than max hp rating!! My attorney told me that is the first thing they check is to see if the non at fault boat exceeds any mfgr regulations....

Hunter guy 86, is that a 24 volt trolling motor? Do you have a large deep cycle battery or batteries plus a large cranking battery? I run 32mph by myself (170lbs) and 29-30 with a 200 lb passenger, small ice chest, tool box, anchor etc. I use a small lawn battery for cranking and was using a small interstate DC from Academy for the trolling motor. Every little bit adds up quickly on a small boat. More hp may be the best cure but even then you'll want to maximize your performance.
It’s a 12V trolling motor with a group 27 deep cycle. I have a group 27 in the rear to run electronics, lights etc. I usually run a very light load outside of duck season.

I’m really thinking the pods on the back of the boat are contributing to my speed issues. I’m considering having them cut off and re-welded. They are set flat with the bottom of the boat, which is contributing a decent amount of drag. However, when they were initially put on, they had a 3/4” rise. The boat porpoised pretty bad, which lead to the flat install.

This boat should really run faster than it does with the motor that I have.

I’m wondering if I should go back to a 3/4” rise on the pods with an adjustable trim tab.

I’ve used piranha props before and carry one as a spare in the boat. I like them but they wear out quickly on the coast due to the sand bottom.

During duck season, I consistently ran in water 2’ or less to get to some of the holes I wanted to hunt. With the setup I have now, I can run in 10” of water if I’m on plane.

I just need more power to get on plane with a load and some more top end speed.
I stay away from composite propsPERIOD

Sounds reasonable. If you remove them, go run it and see how it does before you put them back on just to see what affect it has.

Hunter guy 86, is that a 24 volt trolling motor? Do you have a large deep cycle battery or batteries plus a large cranking battery? I run 32mph by myself (170lbs) and 29-30 with a 200 lb passenger, small ice chest, tool box, anchor etc. I use a small lawn battery for cranking and was using a small interstate DC from Academy for the trolling motor. Every little bit adds up quickly on a small boat. More hp may be the best cure but even then you'll want to maximize your performance.
good point about lead acid batteries, he might want to switch lifepo4 lithium batteries to free up 100 plus lbs

There ain't much difference between the Tohatsu 30 and the F25. 5 hp. But the Tohatsu weighs more, which helps offset some of the 5 additional horsepower. Personally if it were mine I'd look at either reducing weight or redistributing it. Then if you don't already, try a 4 blade prop--you can run a little higher with those at the expense of 1 or 2 mph up top.

If you were near my shop i would've put a 50hp 2 cyl OMC looper on it and be done with it. now you can tow a skier.

I agree with Revenge22. I put a 2001 Johnson 50 on mine and absolutely love it. Very powerful, fast, good on gas, and yes, it will pull a wakeboarder. We get a MUCH better wake with 5 people on board, but the kids are just learning, so they don't need much wake yet. Soon, they will want to be behind the big boat.

Here is video of my nephew learning:

the proof is in the pudding, as they say:) try that with a 30hp 4 stroke.

the proof is in the pudding, as they say:) try that with a 30hp 4 stroke.
You might have a very difficult time, but some of the new ones have some oomph, I've heard.
Here is the same boat, with a 1978 Evinrude 25/35:

The little Evinrude was fine for the kids, but it had a hard time lifting big guys over 200 lbs. That is why I decided to move up to the 50, and I couldn't be happier.

Latest posts