Tohatsu 60/40 jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbradley

Reaction score
Interested in this motor and looking to see if anyone has this motor or driven one. It has the medium pump on it and weights in I think at around 237lbs. Thanks!

Anybody have any reviews or opinions on this motor?? Seems like it would be a powerful, light weight 60/40 option??

Don't know anything about this motor. But the older 2 stroke Tohatsu/Nissans are really sought after here. I own two. Great motors. Last forever. Simple design with few things to go wrong.

But I don't know if you're looking at on older one or a new one.

maintenanceguy said:
Don't know anything about this motor. But the older 2 stroke Tohatsu/Nissans are really sought after here. I own two. Great motors. Last forever. Simple design with few things to go wrong.

But I don't know if you're looking at on older one or a new one.

Sorry....I’m talking about the Tohatsu 60/40 four strokes, not the older two strokes. I’ve seen one video of one and looks like Rothwell marine has rigged some on an Express 1650. Rothwell said it kept right up with the Merc 60/40.

Just saw a video of a guy running a Kaz Kustom 1652 .100” hull at top speed of 32mph. Even though the Tohatsu has a medium pump that is good speed!

I just purchased a new 60/40 Tohatsu on a Hog Island Skiff( sorry not a tin boat😥). Still doing the break in, but checking WOT for under a minute I was getting 27 mph on the gps, two guys, running upstream.

I talk a lot to the guys at Current River Marine down here in good ole SE Mo, they tell me with 2 people the Tohatsu and the Mercury are real close performance wise, when you add the 3rd or 4th person is when the Tohatsu starts shining!! And I think it’s cause of the smaller pump !!

riverracer said:
I talk a lot to the guys at Current River Marine down here in good ole SE Mo, they tell me with 2 people the Tohatsu and the Mercury are real close performance wise, when you add the 3rd or 4th person is when the Tohatsu starts shining!! And I think it’s cause of the smaller pump !!
So your saying the Tohatsu is out performing the Merc with a bigger load?? I would’ve thought the Merc with the large pump would’ve been better with the heavier load.

I had Tohatsu 50/35 4 stroke and it performed very well. I’m sure their 60/40 is good 2 go

If balance and weight is a concern, the Tohatsu would be the way to go. Motor really weighs 237lbs all in while the Mercury weighs 288 all in for a tiller model. I recently purchased a 2022 mercury 60/40 and have buyers remorse and wish I would have purchased the Tohatsu due to the weight being 50lbs lighter. Mercury’s website says lightest model 269 while when the motor arrived it had a sticker on it of 288. They only offer 1 model. Tohatsu is more accurate on their website with the weight.

I have a 2022 Xtreme Boats 1548 River Skiff with a Tohatsu 60/40 4 stroke and stick steering. .125 hull and built like a tank. It runs 27mph . I was expecting a little more speed but am not disappointed with the performance overall. The Tohatsu has been completely reliable with no issues whatsoever.

Latest posts