Tohatsu M40C Long Shaft to Short Shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbarnby

Reaction score
I have a Tohatsu 40hp Longshaft. It's mounted to the boat (A lowe 1648) with a tall aluminum plate, to bring the prop to the correct elevation. This doesn't sit right with me, since it acts as a lever, and puts too much torque on the transom. Do I just need to find a proper motor, or can I just find a short shaft leg, shift lever and driveshaft?

Tbarnby said:
I have a Tohatsu 40hp Longshaft. It's mounted to the boat (A lowe 1648) with a tall aluminum plate, to bring the prop to the correct elevation. This doesn't sit right with me, since it acts as a lever, and puts too much torque on the transom. Do I just need to find a proper motor, or can I just find a short shaft leg, shift lever and driveshaft?

Some are as simple as removing the spacer and installing the shorter driveshaft, shift rod, and water tube. Others require a whole lower unit or exhaust housing.

Best advice I can give is to look at the parts diagrams for both the long and short shaft variants, compare the part numbers for the respective parts.

Tbarnby said:

How tall is the aluminum plate?

Within reason, what you're describing isn't all that uncommon.

I'd modify the boat before modifying the motor. You could always replace the transom wood to accommodate the long shaft motor.

You never know, your next boat might need a long shaft!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Latest posts