Topside paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLeephoto

Reaction score
It's about time to order some topside paint for my 1448 Alumacraft. I've been going round/round and obsessing to a ridiculous degree over this beater jon boat. However, clean-up, sanding, priming is a PITA and I really only want to do this one time.
Whatever I choose I plan to put down softsandandrubber texture on horizontal surfaces.
Most of the existing finish is solid and I'm priming bright spots with self etching primer.

Ideally, I'd like a paint that:
-Is a flat sand/tan in color. (this seems to be difficult to find)
-very durable
-Can go over existing paint with minor sanding and cleaning prep
-Can be sprayed with airless sprayer (Graco 360 VSP).
-Can be recoated within same day without sanding
-Cures relatively quickly.

Right now I'm considering Parker Duck Boat Paint, AlumaHawk, Rustoleum Topside (Sand color only comes in gloss?), Total Boat Topside ($$$).
Are there any others I should be looking at? Any to avoid? Thx.

Go right to a rattle-can?

Rustoleum Specialty Camouflage spray paint - comes in flat sand
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/camouflage-spray?ls=263653&lc=Sand

MN Fisher said:
Go right to a rattle-can?

Hmm, haven't really thought of doing it all with a rattle can. Just as tough? Still, I think I'm going to have to at least roll the horizontal surfaces to add non-skid?
I may be willing to compromise on the interior paint being flat but really do want a light tan/sand in hopes it will be cooler than the current OD.

Might I suggest;
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings/

I've used the topside paint, in grey, on dimensional lumber for a more weatherproof finish, and it is holding up outside quite well. Oil based, so it takes a day for each coat to dry, but sometimes things are worth it.
You don't tell us your location, but my local Menard's big-box home improvement store carries about half the topside colors on the shelf in quarts.

Roger

GTS225 said:
Might I suggest;
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings/

Roger

Thanks, that "Topside" paint is in the running. I like the idea that I can get it locally for future touchups. See two colors that might work "Oyster White" and "Sand Beige" but both are glossy. I'm in S.C. by the way.

JLeephoto said:
... been going round/round and obsessing to a ridiculous degree over this beater jon boat.
Beater jon boat? Spraying it?

Method - I'd roll & tip it if it were mine; 'roll' in a few foot section at a time and 'tip' it with a foam brush, on the vertical surfaces - not needed where you'll non-skid it.

Paint - Cheapest good 'flat' tan enamel I could get ...

Non-Skid Floor - Roll out coat 1. Overlay coat 2 per can for 2nd coat application, then sprinkle on ... WHILE WET ... coarse or kosher salt. That'll leave little 'divots' in the paint to serve like non-skid. FYI ... regardless what you use, it WILL need to be done ... again, someday.

Besides molded-in frp non-skid features, the only reliable and pretty permanent (up to 20-years or more) non-skid method I know is epoxy rolled out with sand or polymer mixed in it, then shot with thin white (or whatever color) UV-proof epoxy topcoat. That is what we use on the coated-plywood gangways or ramps to our boatclub docks.

Look at DURABAK line. Their "TAN" is spot on for my application ( dessert storm). A primer is involved on aluminum, and it's brush or roller. Comes smooth or textured.

BAY BEAGLE said:
Look at DURABAK line. Their "TAN" is spot on for my application ( dessert storm). A primer is involved on aluminum, and it's brush or roller. Comes smooth or textured.
Did you use it in smooth or textured? How’s it holding up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Check out Rapcoparts.
They sell restoration parts for military vehicle restoration. They have non CARC paint there. Sounds like it may be exactly what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Xray Tedd said:
Check out Rapcoparts.
They sell restoration parts for military vehicle restoration. They have non CARC paint there. Sounds like it may be exactly what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thx. I have to admit I’ve spent a lot of time downrange in a lot of mil vehicles but never paid that much attention the paint. Had to look up CARC Paint. But yeah, the color and properties sound right.

JLeephoto said:
BAY BEAGLE said:
Did you use it in smooth or textured? How’s it holding up.

I have purchased the products, and awaiting for the 70° temperature needed for proper application. I have opened one of the cans to check out the color. It is "spot on" for what I want. I purchased both smooth and rough. Smooth will be applied to my front platform (wood), and 2 coats on interior walls. Rough will be applied to the aliumium floor, then the second coat will be smooth, over the rough. A second coat of rough to the wood platform, over the smooth (wood needs smooth as it's first coat, so it is able to penetrate the wood). Steel flex will be used on the exterior bottom and sides. Steel flex will also be used directly to the interior floor, after G-Flex and heat has been applied to the rivets. After 2 coats, I will cover the floor ribs with a sheet of aluminum, as mentioned above. Cuts of Styrofoam will be placed between ribs, and 4" black rubber tape will be applied on each rib, to help with noise from metal to metal vibration.