Tracker Grizzly 1860, do I need a 90 HP motor ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedgar

Reaction score
Looking to find a Tracker Grizzly 1860 (or equivalent/better), hopefully used but if I get tired of looking in a month or 2 I'll buy new. Need input on what motor & HP the boat needs. I'm thinking a 60HP would be a good match. I don't care about breaking 40mph that much, but do want the boat to get up on plane easily and run a minimum of 28mph with 4 souls on-board. I kind of like what I read about the new Suzuki 60 4 stroke at 216 lbs. I would also consider Mercury or Yamaha. I've owned and performed service on all 3 and had good success with them. I'll set the boat up with remote throttle/shift and stick or wheel steer, pedestal seats fore & aft, 24V troll motor (AGM batteries under front deck), eva foam tiles on floor, 2 or 3 mid size coolers for storage, 6 gallon gas tank (2-1/2 gal can for "reserve"), "hose out when done" simple. Will be used mostly in freshwater lakes & canals, but some saltwater bay & flats, here around central/south Florida, for fly and spin cast fishing.

For the motor, I would consider used or new. If used, it would have to be a model of recent vintage and common availability (don't want to start looking for some rare "diamond" that I'll never find), 2 or 4 stroke but not BRP. If used, would consider buying a boat/trailer/motor package, then strip the motor & controls off, if needed to get a good, clean, low hour, freshwater motor.

Thanks for input and if you know, also provide prop guidance for this boat/motor combo.

I have an older 2007 1860 Grizzly without the floatation pods. I would definitely lean toward the larger motors especially loaded with gear and four people. I had 40 HP evinrude on it originally and it would run low 30's but worked hard to get there. I now have a 115 2-stroke Mercury. It's honestly not much faster as it still only runs 38-39 but it will jump on plane in less than a boat length and run that 38-39 all day no matter how much weight I have onboard

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So, you think a 60 HP would be enough motor?? (Suz 60 weighs 230 lbs, Merc 60 weighs 260, Suz 90 weighs 343 lbs).

Also, any opinions on Turning Point propellers ? ("hustler" (al) or "express mach 3" (cres))

Just an FYI unless you're just getting a tiller steer plain Jane model you'll be forced with a mercury if buying new. SC and CC models that were factory packaged had a merc and that was it. If you get an older one or one that someone turned into sc or cc you may be able to get another used brand. As far as I know buying the plane Jane tiller boat only model is the only way to smack on another new or used motor brand.

You can get alumacraft boats with merc/yammy/zuki/Honda/brp.

Hard to say. At 343 that Suzuki 90 is still pretty light for a 4-stroke. I'm sure it'll run fine with the 60. It'll just work a little harder getting up on plane fully loaded. 28 mph shouldn't be a problem either way.

If I could come across a good deal on a 3-cylinder Merc 90 I would probably swap to that instead of the 115 I have. My performance gains weren't nearly as impressive as I would have liked for the added fuel consumption. If I were to buy new that Suzuki DF90, or a Tohatsu 90 TLDI would be at the top of my list

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Have 2019 Tracker Grizzly 1860 MVX with 60 hp 2019 mercury big foot big tiller Command Thrust motor-It has
14 pitch ss merc prop-runs low 30's at 5800 rpm fully loaded.-gets up on plane real fast and very good on fuel.
We are completely satisfied with 60 on this boat.

best regards-Henry

Looking to find a Tracker Grizzly 1860 (or equivalent/better), hopefully used but if I get tired of looking in a month or 2 I'll buy new. Need input on what motor & HP the boat needs. I'm thinking a 60HP would be a good match. I don't care about breaking 40mph that much, but do want the boat to get up on plane easily and run a minimum of 28mph with 4 souls on-board. I kind of like what I read about the new Suzuki 60 4 stroke at 216 lbs. I would also consider Mercury or Yamaha. I've owned and performed service on all 3 and had good success with them. I'll set the boat up with remote throttle/shift and stick or wheel steer, pedestal seats fore & aft, 24V troll motor (AGM batteries under front deck), eva foam tiles on floor, 2 or 3 mid size coolers for storage, 6 gallon gas tank (2-1/2 gal can for "reserve"), "hose out when done" simple. Will be used mostly in freshwater lakes & canals, but some saltwater bay & flats, here around central/south Florida, for fly and spin cast fishing.

For the motor, I would consider used or new. If used, it would have to be a model of recent vintage and common availability (don't want to start looking for some rare "diamond" that I'll never find), 2 or 4 stroke but not BRP. If used, would consider buying a boat/trailer/motor package, then strip the motor & controls off, if needed to get a good, clean, low hour, freshwater motor.

Thanks for input and if you know, also provide prop guidance for this boat/motor combo.
I have a 2014 1860 which I bought new, bare bones from Outdoor World on a trailer. I outfitted it with a side console, 60HP 4-stroke Merc and an inboard 18 gallon gas tank (fitted in the rear seat) amongst other things. Also added 2 external float pods on the transom, necessary with the gas tank and the motor adding rear weight. We use it for waterfowl hunting, and so mostly have 3 adults on board plus plenty of decoy bags. The aluminum boat is light, and honestly it hops right up on a plane with the 60 hp 4-stroke motor even when fully loaded.
I attach a couple of drawings of what I built.

Attachments

• 1860-JON-GA.pdf
    289.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 1860-JON-Tank.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 0

Few videos on utube....
Buddy seemed happy enough, not sure when its loaded down but could always try propping down.

Latest posts