Tracker Pro 16 rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigTerp said:
Chance said:
558d47b18cf27d84c40b430e896b81d7.jpg

Put it in the water for the first time to check for leaks and see what the motor would do. Dad took it for a quick test lap. Just a couple slow rivet leaks up front. The motor fired right up and seemed up to run great. I'm going to have to raise the console up though. I'm at least six inches taller than my dad.

A better way to check for leaks is to fill the boat up with the plug in while the boat is on the trailer in your driveway. You can then look from underneath and find any and all leaks easily. I do this every so often since I run by boat in a shallow rocky river and inevitably hit bottom from time to time. 5200 works well to seal up small weeping rivet leaks.

Thanks for the advice. I actually did do that a couple days before. Mostly just put it in the water for the fun of it. I think the 5200 will do. It is a very slow leak.

jethro said:
$500!?!?! That rig, even in the condition it was in would fetch $2500 at LEAST here in the Northeast. Someone could make a good living simply flipping boats from other areas to New England.

I live in a beach town on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Nearly every house here has at least one boat in the yard. It also helps I'm a patrolman. I get to drive around and talk to people all day. Makes it easy to find good deals.

[/quote]
Picked one up today. It is pretty cool, but my drill batteries kept dying on me. I tried the hair drier again and it worked great. I was able to get most of one side off in three pieces within an hour. Doing it with the hair dryer is just as easy for me and leaves no adhesive behind.[/quote]
You really need a corded drill with these.[/quote]

Very true. I need to invest in some good tools. My tool selection is lacking big time. Luckily, my step-dad owns a mechanic shop and has tools I can borrow.

Not much progress yet, but I'm still pecking away at it. I got all of the decals and old, random transom mounted stuff off. I've started in with the wire brush and sander. Next, I want to get the motor off, sand everything, and fix a few rivets.

08447c57bc1d471c032dcd12fd2d91cc.jpg

I hope to have my tax return in the next couple of weeks. Then it's off to the races. I have a tentative budget of $1000 in mind, not including trolling motor or fish finder. I've been trying to really nail down a plan and start sourcing materials to get the most bang for my buck. I've found several great builds here I will likely be modeling mine after.

Anyone know where to find a replacement for this type?

a33ab21b1e33428918a08b9ac5aee804.jpg

Hey any tips for removing the deck? I'm currently gutting my '86 TX17 to fix some rivets on the front half. Nothing behind the seat line will need to be touched for me. Great work on the restore looks like you've came a long way so far. Can't wait to see the final product. 8)

Latest posts