Tracker Seadoo Jet Jon Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is your intake timing wheel. It needs to be timed to your crank and rotate when you spin the crank over. If it doesn't, bad poop happened and possibly the gear train is sheared. Your 2 stroke oil lubes the worn gear that drives it.

Ranchero50 said:
That is your intake timing wheel. It needs to be timed to your crank and rotate when you spin the crank over. If it doesn't, bad poop happened and possibly the gear train is sheared. Your 2 stroke oil lubes the worn gear that drives it.
This ski has an oil pump block off kit installed on it... So I run premix. Is running premix sufficient to lubricate the gear train? Or do you need to leave the oil pump partially hooked up...?

Yeah so the guy who did my blockoff kit did it wrong. It fried the gear that runs my timing wheel. I'm stealing the motor from my other ski now, and switching over the oil block off kit. This time I will attach a power steering reservoir to lubricate the bottom end. Instead of running 2 stroke oil in the bottom end I will run GL4 gear oil since I'm just looping it in the oil bath anyway and not burning it.

I shouldn't have problems now, getting this boat running should go fast. I took the motor out of the ski after work today and plan to install it after work tomorrow.

Ranchero, what did you do with your cooling water outlet? I have a bilge fitting I want to run mine to so I can make sure it's getting water and see it spitting out the side of the boat... but im not sure which hose to use. Which hose is the OUT? Is there 2? Theres 2 lines going to the head, and one coming out of the exhaust.

also need to know which water line to put my jabsco filter in line.

Personally I'd run the Seadoo oil injection. All of my cooling water drains at the bottom of the hull so I don't have to worry about freezing.

Per the water fittings, download the manual for your ski and use it's diagrams.

Id check too see that the timing train oil isnt consumed through the engine some how, not really sure about seadoo but its worth a thought :!:

It can be but he'd lose it through the crank seals which means he'd need to go into it anyways. Guys will loop the line from front to back once it's filled or plug the front and use the back as a stand pipe with oil in it. Of course Seadoo used several different sized tubing and they tend to leak over time. You have a feed and return to the crank section and a feed to the pump. From the pump you have two tiny hoses to the timing plate cover. I double zip tied mine and it still makes a blue wet spot in the bilge over winter.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THIS THING IS FAST..................................

Finally got it out on the water for a real test. How was the day? Freaking awesome! ABSOLUTELY NO CAVITATION. This thing shreds through peoples wakes and 1ft of chop without missing a beat. We had 3 people in the boat and I think we were doing close to 40!!!!! It felt like twice as fast as the boat used to go at 25mph. Holy smokes this thing is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

I used that other engine from the donor ski, and Ranchero, That's how the guy before me had the oil blockoff kit installed, but the guy I bought it from didn't know ANYTHING about it.. I guess whoever installed it was filling the oil line with oil. I should have researched the blockoff kit because I'm fairly certain I was the one who fried that engine. Now I have both lines looped together with a T fitting for adding oil.

Gosh it feels so good for it to work. best day of my life

That's very cool that it's running well again. The learning curve is pretty steep but once you get it down these things can be dead nuts reliable. Do you have a tach and know what it's turning? I ended up with a Seadoo one off eBay and was able to wire it in without too much fuss.

I've got a working tach I can wire in no problems, I might do that.. but don't have/want a console

Few updates, I need to take more pics soon, but heres where I'm at:
I've been running this boat everywhere. I got one pretty good sized dent on the bottom from running some rapids. This boat will do about 2.5" of water.

Me and my girlfriend topped out at 38.6 MPH on some glass, usually run around 28 just cruising for better mpg and smooth ride. I'm sure it could make it to 40 but 28 is fine for me.

I have some issues cavitating when the boat is loaded down too much (4 people and rough water), at about 15 mph. I'm going to try a scooped intake grate, thinking that the pump is running out of water to push at low speeds. I know I could prop down one more if I wanted to be loaded down a lot but I'm gonna try to retain my top speed as it feels like theres plenty of torque on the low end.

I hope the new intake grate doesn't suck up too much junk but I'll test it out.

You can't run heavy loaded up front or you'll have that problem. Get everyone towards the rear and it'll be OK, but not a screamer. You'll also have to ease into the throttle so you don't cavitate.

When I run three up I have the extra passenger sit next to me and the kid up front.

I'm using a Solas 'top loader' grate & haven't had any problems other sucking up junk, except when I run aground!

Your boat's performance sounds much like mine. Fun they are!

I used to run a top loader grate on mine, and it definitely helped with cavitation.
Unfortunately, the open design of the top loader grate also allowed too much debris, weeds, etc to pass through and foul the impeller, so, I had to do away with that intake, and fabricated a weedless type.

Ranchero50 said:
You can't run heavy loaded up front or you'll have that problem. Get everyone towards the rear and it'll be OK, but not a screamer. You'll also have to ease into the throttle so you don't cavitate.

When I run three up I have the extra passenger sit next to me and the kid up front.
Good tip! Thanks, I'll try that next time.

I'll see how the top loader grate performs, if it's not great I might be able to weld a couple of vertical flat bars in it with my tig I was thinking.

Last time I took the boat out I went to the feather river. man is is LOW LOW LOW this year.. I was able to run in just a couple inches of water at some points, but it was getting scary with stumps and shallows, so I was running at 1/2-3/4 throttle (low 30's downstream) at 3/4 throttle it would run great for about 15 seconds then bog down for 5, then run great for 20 seconds and bog down for like 5-10. When I went full throttle it ran fine... but was scary fast (over 40) Could have been a few things I reckon. When I got home I noticed two things:
Fuel filter was clogged up with soot
clamp on my waterbox was barely even on (Not tightened)

I'm thinking maybe the overload of exhaust in the engine compartment was not allowing the intake enough clean air to run properly, but when I went fast there was enough wind to blow it out, or perhaps the carbs were just getting dirty fuel. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning whether I fixed it. Salmon season started here in CA yesterday, hitting up the feather river tomorrow, we were the only boat out on Monday because the water was so low, but we caught 6 striper and 2 catfish. Good day after work i'd say.

Also just replaced my solenoid because it wasn't wanting to always click hard. Now the thing starts up like a striped a** ape!

Now you got me thinking about finding a 99 Seadoo and beater Jon to converge. That actually looks like a fun project and more fun boat!

Latest posts