Transom work

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nman

Reaction score
Hi I have a 14' monark aluminum jon boat, that needs the transom replaced. The person that had the boat before me did some modifications to the boat which include a top rail over the transom that is welded in. My question is since I now have to remove the 2 inside angle supports and the center brace to get it out, would it be ok to replace the rivets that hold those pieces in with bolts so as to make it easyer in the future to replace the transom when and if it rots out again. Was thinking of using just your everday slotted panhead bolts. Thanks

welcome aboard nman it would help if you could post some pictures so we could see what you are dealing with they are alot of people on here that will be willing to help

Hi, the rivets that I would like to replace with bolts are the ones with arrows pointing towards them. Three are in the side of the boat and 3 in the bottom for each side. I picked this boat up last week for 400 and it came with the trailer, 30# trolling motor,battery,humminbird fishfinder, and bow and stern lights. Would like to repaint and add flooring to it in the future. Thanks

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,718
  • transom1.JPG
    transom1.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,720
  • transom2.JPG
    transom2.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,726
That is how I was plannning on fixing mine (one day when I get caught up w/ everything else) Use SS bolts with lock nuts, and it wouldn't hurt to put a lil silicone on the ouside to keep the H20 out.

Get yourself some closed-end blind rivets make sure they are aluminum with aluminum mandrel they install with a regular poprivet gun and they are sealed

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto.

I would replace any rivets going through the wood with ss bolts and leave the rest of them alone. If they are leaking, they are easy enough to tighten up.

The rivets that I see marked don't need to be removed to get the transom wood out. :?:

Thanks for the info, please if you could explain i don't see how to get the transom wood out without taking out the rivets to get the corner and center brace out. I cant unbolt an pull it straight up because the back top triangular braces are welded to the top rails of the boat. So the only way i can see getting it is to pull those braces and pull the transom straight forward to get it out. I am knew to boats but have plenty of mechanical skills to do the work just need someone to help me understand better how to get it out. Thanks

There are already bolts in your transom, so it has been replaced before.

Those would have been rivets from the factory.

Take a better shot of those corner braces and show us the welds, if you don't mind.

Unless that was done during the last replacement, there is a way to get the old out and a new piece in. :wink:

iagree i read the post wrong i thought the brace pictured was at the side of the boat but after re-looking it is the transom brace the rivets are at the bottom in the floor they should stay just remove the bolts at the top of the brace :?

The transom wood probably was replaced at some point in time, nut it may have been done before the welding was. As you can see in the pictures the top corner braces are welded both to the sides of the boat and to the strip that goes over top of the transom. Because that is welded in i dont think i can just unbolt the transom and slide the wood out the top. The only way i can see getting it out is to remove the rivets that hold the inside angle braces in and the center transom support so i can remove the wood by pulling it out toward the front of the boat. Thanks

Attachments

• transom3.JPG
    transom3.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,500
  • transom4.JPG
    transom4.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,499
I would leave the factory rivets and cut the welds & remove the added transom riser. Then replace the original transom, and build a new riser if you really need one, maybe one that bolts on.
Keep in mind I'm no boat expert, I'm replacing my 1st transom in the very near future. I do a fair amount of metalwork though...