Tree fell on my 1983 Monark 1652

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’ve been working on this boat for about a year off and on. Still have more to do like led lights for night etc. but finally brought the motor back to life running good and trustworthy.
Neighbor called this morning before I had been outside and said a tree was laying on my boat. I hit the porch quick and suddenly felt sick. I was looking at it wondering how bad it was and the boat moved a little. The tree was being barley held up by an old picked fence. I went and grabbed what I needed to shore up the tree. Then started carefully cutting limbs from around the boat until I pulled it out of harms way. Started inspecting everything and it’s not as awful as I expected. Good thing I used good heavy marine vinyl when I built the seats. Not a puncture anywhere. Motor is fine. A limb had landed and was resting in a rod holder on the corner in the back. It caused a previous weld to crack closer to the transom.
I’m posting some pics.
Does anyone know how to repair the spot ?495E5059-9C39-428A-847C-C238E82A50DC.jpeg I haven’t welded in years and never on aluminum.

Attachments

• F0BD7237-F33B-49C3-997F-FFA904DE9A2C.jpeg
    F0BD7237-F33B-49C3-997F-FFA904DE9A2C.jpeg
    687.8 KB · Views: 378
  • BF7069FF-EC6C-4CE5-B9B6-98F73C0D8957.jpeg
    BF7069FF-EC6C-4CE5-B9B6-98F73C0D8957.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 378
Clean the area down to bare aluminum and take it to a local welding shop. It's worth it to have it done right.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I do a fair amount of mig and tig welding on aluminum. Contaminants in old aluminum can sometimes make it a challenge to weld. Yours doesn’t look too bad. But I would definitely take it to a shop that has good experience with this type of repair.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really like this forum.
I’ve been under the weather the past couple of days but I’m planning on calling a place here in town that manufactures/ fabrication marine metal parts etc. and see if they’ll do it. I’ve been told they worked on a boat or two.

I called Centex Marine today and I’m going to start getting the boat ready to take to them on Monday. Figured I’d use a nyalox brush to clean up the area and great it down to bare metal. Have to remove the fuel water separator and hose. I’m going to call back and ask about the motor. The weld is only about a foot away but I haven’t removed this 40hp before and don’t have a place to hang it yet. That all may change.

They'll use a Tig welder so no spatter. The motor being on the boat won't be an issue

Weldorthemagnificent said:
They'll use a Tig welder so no spatter. The motor being on the boat won't be an issue

Thanks for the information. I wasn’t looking forward to pulling that motor.
Question for you. Once I get it down to bare metal should I clean the area with mineral spirits or something else to remove any type of contamination? Or will it do any good since I have to tow it to town?

They'll likely grind a weld prep in it. Cleaning the area just saves you a couple bucks

I’ve got everything out of the way best I can and cleaned it down to bare metal. I just hope they can get to it soon after I drop it off. I’m ready to get back on the water.

Latest posts