Trolling motor advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefire05

Reaction score
I have a 16 ft boat I have a 40 foot controlled on the front with two 30 on the back. My ? Is would 3 Minn 30s on the back be the same or better than two 55s. It's either buy one more 30 or two 55s.

If money is no option, then I would certainly say just 2 55lbs. Three starts to sound crazy to me for some reason but I know they can be had for $100 a pop. Looks like 70# can be had for $300 a pop. I'd get one of those and see how it does then get another if you want it. I have no experience greater than one trolling motor, though.

Why not a 30 port and starboard and a 55 center? Remember, no matter how many motors you have on it, I don't think you can go much over 3.5 mph. You would have to change the pitch on the props to go any faster.

What are trying to accomplish?
Thinking fewer trolling motors with more thrust would be better or one nice 24V one.
Still wondering why you think you need another?

stevefire05 said:
I have a 16 ft boat I have a 40 foot controlled on the front with two 30 on the back. My ? Is would 3 Minn 30s on the back be the same or better than two 55s. It's either buy one more 30 or two 55s.
Steve, What are you looking for, more speed. I run a single 55 on my 1648. Does 3 mph on GPS. You fishing Bear Creek, Sandy Creek or Yargo?

I guess I want the top speed out of my boat. With the 2 30s on the back and the 40 on the front I get 4 mph on gps. The two 55 is prob what I will go with, then a 70 on the front down the road. I fish bear creek a lot Varner haven't fished yargo in a while try to fish all the electric only lake in that area. Thanks for the info.

More motors in the water equals more drag to overcome, especially as speed increases. You need to run as few motors as possible with as much thrust as possible. 3 30's have to overcome the drag of three shafts and motor bodies, while 2 55's only have to deal with 2.

Also, remember as speed increases so does wind and water resistance. So doubling thrust, or horsepower is not going to double speed. A general rule of thumb is that all things being equal, you have to quadruple hp in order to double your top speed.

New River Rat said:
kryptonica said:
........I would certainly say just 2 55lbs. ..........but I know they can be had for $100 a pop.

Where can I find 55#ers at this price? I'm hungry for those!

haha New River Rat. you snip my quotes artfully... but you're right to. I should have said "30lb thrust" in that sentence.
I think the 55lbs are going for $200+.
FWIW, I found the best price on my recent X3 trolling motor at iMarine. Free shipping and was at my house in 36hrs!
I would certainly recommend them unless there is a sponsor selling tMs of course.

Latest posts