Trolling motor bracket for mounting transom mounted tm on bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braden

Reaction score
I've got a 1648 that I would like to mount a transom mounted trolling motor on the bow. I have used one of those little plastic mounts that slips through the handle under the bow on my 12 ft, but that would not be sturdy enough. Any suggestions of a bracket that could be bolted to the bow?

Should be simple enough to make with some angle aluminum and a small piece of 1" plywood. Another thing is to rotate the control head 180 degrees so your control handle faces the inside of your boat usually just a bolt or two to turn the head and retighten. Will work best if close to center of your boat.

Agree with the above. While there are a few brackets out there, you have the boat and motor and can mock-up/figure out the best for you.

A small word of caution. I did use a transom TM on the bow, a good number of years ago. I reversed the head like airshot mentioned. It worked well, but the first rock I hit bent the shaft. If you have a composite shaft, it is probably more robust. When on the transom, a hit could pop the tilt mechanism, but when mounted in reverse on the bow, it is all the forward momentum against the shaft. The boat I had it on was a "lite" 14' semi-v, car topper like. On a larger, heavier boat, like yours, there will be more forward momentum for it absorb. JFYI

airshot said:
Should be simple enough to make with some angle aluminum and a small piece of 1" plywood. Another thing is to rotate the control head 180 degrees so your control handle faces the inside of your boat usually just a bolt or two to turn the head and retighten. Will work best if close to center of your boat.

Thank you for the reply. Just a few follow up questions. Where would I be able to purchase angle aluminum? Any suggestions on how to mount it (hardware suggestions?)?

FuzzyGrub said:
Agree with the above. While there are a few brackets out there, you have the boat and motor and can mock-up/figure out the best for you.

A small word of caution. I did use a transom TM on the bow, a good number of years ago. I reversed the head like airshot mentioned. It worked well, but the first rock I hit bent the shaft. If you have a composite shaft, it is probably more robust. When on the transom, a hit could pop the tilt mechanism, but when mounted in reverse on the bow, it is all the forward momentum against the shaft. The boat I had it on was a "lite" 14' semi-v, car topper like. On a larger, heavier boat, like yours, there will be more forward momentum for it absorb. JFYI

Good point! I will keep that in mind.

braden said:
airshot said:

Thank you for the reply. Just a few follow up questions. Where would I be able to purchase angle aluminum? Any suggestions on how to mount it (hardware suggestions?)?

If you have a metal recycle yard nearby, it can be a treasure trove. You can buy angle at Ace Hardware and likely Lowes and Home Depot, but it's very spendy. Local recycle yard charges me $2/lb for steel; $3 for aluminum....and they've got 10 acres of scrap. Fun digging thru it, looking for just what I need.

gogittum said:
braden said:
airshot said:

If you have a metal recycle yard nearby, it can be a treasure trove. You can buy angle at Ace Hardware and likely Lowes and Home Depot, but it's very spendy. Local recycle yard charges me $2/lb for steel; $3 for aluminum....and they've got 10 acres of scrap. Fun digging thru it, looking for just what I need.

Thanks!

braden said:
airshot said:

Places like hardware stores, Tractor Supply, big box stores like Home Depot normally all have angle aluminum and stainless steel bolts and nuts. Many have small pieces of plywood called hobby panels. If your not mechanically inclined you might consult a friend or neighbor that is mechanical.

Braden, I know it’s been a while for this thread but I just happened to run across your post while browsing the site.
Did you get your trolling motor mounted? I have a 16/52 with a transom mount trolling motor on the bow. The bracket I made has been holding up strong on the 55# Min Kota.
If you’re still having trouble let me know and I’ll send you some pictures. Real easy to make. A piece of flat plate and the bracket made from 3/4” plywood I had laying around.
Here’s a picture you can see it in that I took after re wiring the boat. The pool noodles are to protect the boat cover.

Attachments

• 205B80D6-86DB-4515-A53D-2666EECF1BDA.jpeg
    205B80D6-86DB-4515-A53D-2666EECF1BDA.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts