Trolling motor old 55 vs new 30

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaru

Reaction score
So I have an old (maybe late/mid 80s) minn Kota 55B trolling motor with 5 3/4" prop and a new 2016 minn Kota endura c2 30 with a 9" prop. My boat is a 14' flat front Jon boat with 9.9. Which trolling motor is going to work best for me? Not sure if prop size makes a difference or age of the motor. I read about thrust and know that speed most likely will be similar.

Can't give an exact answer, but, 55 is still 55, and 30 is 30. That 55 will get you up the current and out of a sticky situation better than a brand new 30, assuming it's in good running condition. I can say that I've been under powered with a 30 before and almost didn't make it back to the ramp because of the wind.

FWIW, I would sell both, and get a 40-45lb. I've had 3 different 14ft boats and that seems to be the sweet spot between power consumption and thrust needed. My 43lb last all day on a 109ah Walmart battery with juice to spare

If the 55 is in good condition why not use it ?? If it has issues then go for a newer model as they use less battery power than 20 years ago. Go with more than what you need rather than come up short when you really need the power !!

Latest posts