Trolling motors-shaft length?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickk

Reaction score
In my pursuit for a 14' Jon boat I've come across a decent deal on a t-motor. How long a shaft would I want for a 14' flat bottom or mod vee jon boat? This is a sloooooooow long term project as I need to figure out how to get squeeze a boat in my garage and still park a car in there(20'x20' garage). Or find dirt cheap storage.

Most 14 foot jons would have a 15 inch transom. I have very rarely seen a 20 on a jon that size, and they are special purpose, and would cost a bit more. Now, a 15 inch transom only means 15 inches in terms of outboards. With trolling motors, it is measured from the bottom of the head, to the top of the motor. in terms of transom mount, I usually put the top of the motor about 5 inches below the bottom of the boat. Then, if you have the handle level with the transom, you need another 5 or so for the clamp. All in all, a 30 inch shaft on a transom mount should do you good.

Now, if you are speaking of a bow mount, it takes a bit more, but then again, it isn't sticking so high off the deck, like the transom one would. A 36 shouldn't cause a problem, unless it is a vee, with a steep rise, then, a 42 would do. Good luck!

You can adjust it where you want it. Tilt also affects trolling motor performance, so that'll offset some of the length as well. The longer shaft just means you need to either stick it in the water further, or the tiller will be higher above the transom, which isn't a bad thing if you are tall!

Thanks guys, I decided it wasnt' worth it since the warranty is no good on a 2nd hand motor; it would have to sell for really cheap to make it worth it.

Latest posts