Truss head VS Brazier head

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spcamno

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Tried the search function but can't find the answer I'm looking for anyway here it is:

What is the difference between Truss head rivets vs Brazier head rivets?

I need to replace come rivets on my project can only find Truss head solid rivets in my area and would like to know if they will work compares to the Brazier head that almost everybody recommended.

They looks the same on the internet but can't find anywhere it mention about the difference between those and brazier.

Thank you in advance!

Jay Cee Sales (https://www.rivetsinstock.com/) says this:

These Truss Head Small Solid Rivets are available in: STEEL, STAINLESS STEEL, BRASS, COPPER, MONEL, INCONEL

You want aluminum rivets of 1100F alloy ... so buy the brazier head ones. If there's another difference or definition ... I don't know it ...

in the circle that I come from, truss head is for bolts and brazier head is for rivets.
I don't think I have seen the names intermingled amongst the two.
But, they ARE different animals, although similar.
truss rivet.JPG
for filling holes in the aluminum hull, the 1/4" brazier style rivet can have a head about 3/4" dia.
same with the truss bolts.

I bought some from Zoro Tools on e-bay. very satisfied.

Edit: I have never seen nor used the truss rivet, but, it appears to have a head
similar to the "elevator bolt" if you have ever seen those.

Thank both gentlemen for your post.

What is the most common length rivets to use?

Is 1/2" good enough?

I will be refinish a Sylvan jon boat (used to be a bass boat but the previous owner gutted the entire interior and it looks more like a jon boat than bass boat).

Edited: forgot to mention I'm going to replace some lose rivets on the bottom and if the holes are worn might need to go up one size from 3/16 to 1/4 depends on how bad it is.

Cheers

The drawings on Jay Cee also seemed to show a rim w/ a small square edge around it, on the truss head ones, vs. a full radius or 'dome' on the brazier style rivets.

Latest posts