Trying to clean inside rivets and seams.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoJack

Reaction score
Hi guy's, I am trying to clean the inside rivets and seams so that I can apply Gluvit but I am unsure how cleaned up they have to be...I am using a stainless brush and a nylon wheel but can't get around some of the rivets - do they have to be ultra clean for the Gluvit to work?
Also, what might the gray coating be underneath the paint? (green arrow pic)

Attachments

• 20230123_151243.jpg
    20230123_151243.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230202_133141.jpg
    20230202_133141.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230202_133159.jpg
    20230202_133159.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 0
To me, just old paint. I find products like GluVit or West Systems G-Flex 650 best applied to the rivet by a syringe, no need to waste product by 'painting' it on. You'd also be best advised to paint the entire floor area, as epoxy is not UV proof and sun exposure kills it. Gray Rust-Oleum would be my choice, 2 thing coats better than 1 thick.

To me, just old paint. I find products like GluVit or West Systems G-Flex 650 best applied to the rivet by a syringe, no need to waste product by 'painting' it on. You'd also be best advised to paint the entire floor area, as epoxy is not UV proof and sun exposure kills it. Gray Rust-Oleum would be my choice, 2 thing coats better than 1 thick.
I took out the old floor and will be replacing it....
So after reading what you said I take it that each rivet doesn't necessarily have to be spotless in order to apply the epoxy? (Using a syringe is a great idea)

Sometimes "good enough" is all you can do. I personally believe that TOO much prep on any one rivet could actually weaken it or remove material. Clean of debris is what you want ...

Sometimes "good enough" is all you can do. I personally believe that TOO much prep on any one rivet could actually weaken it or remove material. Clean of debris is what you want ...
Thank you for the advice! I was trying to make it super clean and now know it doesn't need to be.
I live in FL and just want to get out on the water and catch some shrimp and redfish😀

I live in FL and just want to get out on the water and catch some shrimp and redfish😀
Cool - now git out thar'!

We're heading there soon (April) and will be looking to retire to FL in a few years, to anywhere from there and up towards Mount Dora or possibly up to The Villages ... if my wife gets her way, lol!

I'd love to get out for redfish somewhere ... so I'll be in touch!

I personally brushed two thin coats of Gluvit on the rivets. Do the best job you can do with the brush and wheel. I used the same thing on my rivets. As mentioned above, make sure you paint what you sealed. The gluvit rivets will yellow over time if you don't. Good Luck!

"if my wife gets her way"...So I think it's safe to say you WILL be moving to FL. lol. I am on the east coast near New Smyrna..shark bite capital of the world. Lol.
I won't be catching much fish any time soon after just seeing the price of vinyl flooring and plywood😫

Last edited:
I personally brushed two thin coats of Gluvit on the rivets. Do the best job you can do with the brush and wheel. I used the same thing on my rivets. As mentioned above, make sure you paint what you sealed. The gluvit rivets will yellow over time if you don't. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info🙂...I also discovered some smallish holes - no wonder the guy I bought it off told me to run the bilge pump every 10 minutes lol

Have you tried a solution of 50% Super Clean or Purple Power and very hot water, plus a shot of bleach yet?

Use a stiff brush, dip it and work from the back to the front, then come back and scrub again. Makes a ton of bubbles. Rinse with plenty of water after you are done. You might be surprised at how well it works. I don't think I would overdo it too much. That may be causing more problems than you are fixing.

For the smallish holes, you can make small patches from aluminum plate Cut to size and drill for rivets before applying 5200 or other sealant and then rivet them tight

Personally, I've always hunted down leaks rather than Gluvit, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Latest posts