type of plywood?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msasso

Reaction score
I am decking a 16' starcraft over aluminum framing and have a question in plywood. I intend to use 3/4 plywood as i have in the past. However, do I need to use marine plywood or would a good birch plywood do the trick? I plan on sealing it with several coats of oil primer before installing and i am going to rivet it down and put matting over it instead of carpet. This is going to be a saltwater boat and will have lots of dead fish on the decls from spearfishing.

All of the birch ply available here is designed for interior use, it will fall apart if it gets wet.

Just plain sheathing is fine, if it's supported well enough you can get by with 5/8 to save some weight. Coat it well before you carpet and install.

Marine plywood is the same material and glue as exterior sheathing. However it does not have any knot voids and more plies.

You want an exterior grade plywood ACX, BCX or CCX. As long as it ends in X

• With good framing, I personally don't see the need or expense or weight of 3/4" ply
    xx
  • Would be better to seal the edge grains with an epoxy... or use what you plan, but MULTIPLE coats
    xxx
  • Check out Nauotlex marine vinyl from Defender Marine in CT, it hoses and washes off easily yet gives you secure footing! Edges can be tucked down around (at least a 1-1/2" tuck) the floor perimeter before riveting down, to further aid in waterproofness. FWIW my old m-vinyl floor was 25-years old when sold ... saltwater boat, full sun exposure out on its mooring 24/7 ... and yet it still looked as good as NEW after power-washings!
Yes, I'll admit it ... I'm biased at best or opinionated at worst, LOL, but I also like only doing things once ...

Latest posts