Unpainted aluminum hull issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestfisher

Reaction score
Morning all, I know I've asked this before yet now I have pics.
Have a 2004 Tracker PT175. Have been trying to keep the bare aluminum hull clean and polished with no avail. I use aluminum polish and get it all pretty just to have it stain and get hazy at the waterline when I put it back in the water for a day trip.
I am asking for help to see if there is a way to polish this again and protect it from the staining. As I am sure you all know how long it takes to polish and doing it every time I use the boat is getting redundant. I am getting "popeye" arms.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_083253589.jpg
    IMG_20220920_083253589.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20220920_083234961.jpg
    IMG_20220920_083234961.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 137
I'm too lazy to apply polish, but I do use the StarBrite cleaner stuff. It would be terrific if there was something that would keep it clean at the waterline. And, I would say the same for the outboard.

There was a previous thread about hull cleaners where spray-on car wax was mentioned. Someone also mentioned Shark Hide sealant. I've not tried either.

I tried the turtle wax spray stuff……..gone as soon as you submerge it. It’s the price of admission with bare aluminum.

Be careful using waxes. Some can stain bare metal.

Aluminum oxidizes naturally to protect itself. Other than a clear coat which may slow down the oxidisation, it wont stop it. Some guys paint there hull to make it easier to look good. Have owned aluminum boats for 60 years, painted hulls are easier, natural aluminum is just work to shine. It will oxidize just so far then it will stop or slow way down as a form of protection, might not look good , but it is not hurting the metal..

Hi
I'm satisfied with the appearance of my polished hull using a Turtle Wax spray and wipe every few trips. Each spring I take a buffer and clay-bar to it. I could shave in it right after that, but it isn't realistic to think it'll stay that way for long. The shine decreases gradually as the season progresses, but its much more noticeable to me than to other observers. I don't find the whole process very troublesome at all, and the boat draws alot of appreciative comments.
A quick wipe-down with a beach towel as soon as you pull it off the ramp goes a long way against water spots, and it only takes a few minutes.
I think your boat looks great.
Ron

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 70
Ronbedard57 said:
Hi
I'm satisfied with the appearance of my polished hull using a Turtle Wax spray and wipe every few trips. Each spring I take a buffer and clay-bar to it. I could shave in it right after that, but it isn't realistic to think it'll stay that way for long. The shine decreases gradually as the season progresses, but its much more noticeable to me than to other observers. I don't find the whole process very troublesome at all, and the boat draws alot of appreciative comments.
A quick wipe-down with a beach towel as soon as you pull it off the ramp goes a long way against water spots, and it only takes a few minutes.
Ron

I think you set the standard. Your boat is definitely an eye-catcher.

Hi
Ron

Your boat looks absolutely amazing. How did you happen to settle on turtle wax. Do you feel other products will do an equally good job or is turtle wax a superior product?

Morning all, I know I've asked this before yet now I have pics.
Have a 2004 Tracker PT175. Have been trying to keep the bare aluminum hull clean and polished with no avail. I use aluminum polish and get it all pretty just to have it stain and get hazy at the waterline when I put it back in the water for a day trip.
I am asking for help to see if there is a way to polish this again and protect it from the staining. As I am sure you all know how long it takes to polish and doing it every time I use the boat is getting redundant. I am getting "popeye" arms.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IDK if this will work for you, but maybe paint the hull from the waterline down to the bottom of the boat. Marine Clear Coat | Clear Coat for Fiberglass & Aluminum Boats

I know ceramic coatings are still all the rage in the automotive world. Anyone have experience with ceramic on boats for an application like this? Some claim longer durability compared to traditional polishes/coatings.

Ronbedard57 .... I like that idea. I've been looking into the slick bottom applications and talked w/Mr. Ward @ Gator Glide. That must be the nicest dude I've spoken to in years. I've become a believer and will be supporting the Gator Glide company in my Alum. Boat Resto. They come in many different colors so I'm going w/ Blue on the bottom. Maybe leave the top Alum., w/highlight stripe at water line riveted buldge and gunwale. (white or red maybe) It'll match my 64' Evinrude 9.5 a bit maybe :)

I polish aluminum for customers sometimes. After running the buffer over it for the desired shine, I like to use an old product that used to be on TV when I was a kid - Nu Finish. It still comes in the same orange bottle, it is still just as easy to apply, and it still works well.

I honestly don't know how it handles water spots, or how long it lasts, but everyone tells me how much they love the polish jobs, and no one has made any complaints. I need to make some calls and ask some of them.

Hi
The Turtle Wax spray and wipe stuff is what I have on hand for the cars. It is easy to use, and works well enough on the boat so I haven’t searched for anything else.
Wiping down with a beach towel when the boat is first pulled up the ramp helps minimize the water spots.

Latest posts