Valve Lash Inspection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InSaneFisherMan

Reaction score
My Suzuki DF9.9 has a valve lash inspection at 12months/200hours.

My question is for those who have engines with a valve lash inspection, are you doing them and are you doing any adjustments?

Fixing to do mine next month, but read a few internet searches where some owners are not doing them.

My Honda's maintenance includes a valve adjustment check every 200 hours. I have yet to do one. I have the shop manual and luckily a YouTube video for my same motor that is sponsored by a reputable company. It all seems pretty straight forward. Parts would be a $20 gasket. I honestly don't know why I haven't done it. Probably should on the next annual cycle even though I doubt any adjustment would be needed.

I would do it. 200hrs is alot for the first valve adjustment. ATV's call for adjustment after 10hrs. You will need to adjust to account for break in, and then probably never have to worry about it.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
I would do it. 200hrs is alot for the first valve adjustment. ATV's call for adjustment after 10hrs. You will need to adjust to account for break in, and then probably never have to worry about it.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

It has the initial at 20hr, had all the 20hr inspections done at the dealers. But will be doing the 200 hr one this winter.

LDUBS said:
My Honda's maintenance includes a valve adjustment check every 200 hours. I have yet to do one. I have the shop manual and luckily a YouTube video for my same motor that is sponsored by a reputable company. It all seems pretty straight forward. Parts would be a $20 gasket. I honestly don't know why I haven't done it. Probably should on the next annual cycle even though I doubt any adjustment would be needed.

I've got the service manual, gaskets and also watched a video, just hoping the remote and tiller are the same.

If it has shim and bucket style valvetrain you can check them, but you probably won't have to adjust them. It's a pretty lengthly process if you do. The powerhead needs to be removed on my 90hp Merc to swap the shims, so I'm not too concerned if they aren't far off.

Adjustable rockers are easy enough to check and adjust if needed.

InSaneFisherMan said:
LDUBS said:

I've got the service manual, gaskets and also watched a video, just hoping the remote and tiller are the same.

For this, I would think they would be the same.

InSaneFisherMan said:
LDUBS said:

Well, your thread prompted me to order up the gasket. I have no excuse now.

Latest posts