Vehicle trailering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglystick

Reaction score
Anybody tow their jet boat with a Toyota Highlander V6?
I tow my 1860 CCJ G3 with a 2004 4 runner 220,000 miles.
Want something more reliable with better mpg.

We have a 2022 17' CCJ with 90/65, and tow it with my 2016 4Runner. No issues. I did get a higher and longer receiver to level the trailer and keep the hatch from bumping the bow trolling motor.

At the end of last year, we traded my wifes 2014 Highlander for a 2022. We were not planning on getting a new one, just yet. With 150k miles it was still in great shape. When we went browsing, found out the V6 was discontinued for 2023! Only 4cyl turbo and hybrids. :( It was a scramble to find a left over V6 AWD w/XLE package. I wanted a factory hitch, but couldn't find one within a hours drive. Having the factory hitch installed, was priced rediculous. I haven't put an aftermarket hitch on it yet, but will in the future. I have a pick-up truck on a stick (5'x8') utility trailer that I use often.

From the manual:
-1000lb capacity with no trailer brakes.
- At 2000lb a sway control device is required
- Over 5000lb a load leveling hitch required
(It looks like the lawyers wrote the manual)

I know our trailer doesn't have brakes and suspect the one with the 1860 doesn't either. I think our boat/trailer combo weighs in around 1800lbs. They told me the Tacoma was going to phase out the V6 too! For now, they look like they are keeping the old 4Runner around with V6. As you said,, it is not gas milage friendly. It is only a half hour tow to the river, so not a good reason to get a better milage one, for us.

I have been a fairly loyal Toyota owner, but suspect the 4Runner will evenualy get replaced with a different brand. A 4cyl turbo doesn't excite me much for towing. Might be fun in a Rav4 though. Hope this helps you some. Anyway, good luck with your tow vehicle search.

CORRECTION: The boat/trailer weight estimate was too high. It included my son and I. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks very helpful, and found the same information you did.
I'm a Toyota lifer. I own 5 Toyotas so the dealership knows me well and I'm not switching brands
Was told 2023 is the last year for the V6 4 runner, going turbo next year.
I'm 70 years old and want something I can rely on.
I'm looking at 2021 22 Highlander, but they are $44,000 used without a hitch.
Same with the 4 runner, its cheaper to order a new SR5 than to buy used
All have 5000lb towing capacity. Did you get the upgraded tow package? trans cooler can't tell if its standard or upgrade
Highlanders ride nicer and better MPG
If you go aftermarket, doesn't the ball sit lower?

Yes, the Highlanders ride much better. I didn't see any towing pkg on the new 2022's XLEs that we saw/found. There was one that had a hitch at a dealer we didn't visit, but also had the second row bucket seats. We had to have a bench with our dog. The Toyota website "build your own" tool was already updated to 2023. In fact, I thought it was broke when it didn't come up with a V6 option. My wife wanted white, but had to settle for silver.

I had the factory hitch on the 2014 Highlander, and even though the receiver came through the plastic bumper cover, it required a 1-2" riser ball. The aftermarket hitches do sit lower, and require a higher riser.

The dealer installation was like $2K vs $500 for aftermarket.

I towed our 20' fiberglass 350 Mercruiser bowrider with the 4runner. It was about 4500lbs but had a dual axle trailer. It was only about 200 miles, twice a year.

PS: Lots of new gizmos to learn on the new Highlander.