Ward 60’s 12 ft Sea King project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavy 9.9 and possible new Klamath

Attachments

• 63D86076-B8EA-4C36-8090-2064819B6008.jpeg
    63D86076-B8EA-4C36-8090-2064819B6008.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 100
  • 0C37488D-6FA8-4790-9A44-3AF8B53E7BEE.jpeg
    0C37488D-6FA8-4790-9A44-3AF8B53E7BEE.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 100
Twofootitis is a wallet debilitating disease! Lol. Only thing better than a 14' boat is a 16' boat. In all seriousness, a 12' boat is a great thing for small water and for tossing in the back of a pickup. It's the only reason I own one. My go to is a 16' Naden. It will comfortably fish 3 adults and handle bigger water. Getting a boat is an exciting thing, being nervous on the water because you are pushing the limits of a boat with your family in it isn't. Yes a 14' boat is way better than a 12' in load capacity and ability to handle rougher water.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldor, thanks brotha you’ve been a ton of help. Twofootitus hahaha =D>

Ok I’m pretty set on that plan as well. As far as the trailer goes ... will it just hang over an extra two feet or is a mod in order ?

I added to the tongue on mine. Just need a piece of tube the same size as the tongue on yours and extend it. A small hobby welder can accomplish this, or a local weld shop. Then just move the winch stand forward. I added a little over 3' to go from a 14' to a 16. It allows me to open the tailgate with the boat attached.

Extend the tongue. It will be easier to back up and you won’t have to get your feet wet when unloading. Never have the boat hanging without being supported under the transom. The hull will develop a “hook” and ruin the performance of the boat. 14’ is a much better option for the family. Congrats on the new boat

Definitely gonna extend the tongue, thanks for all the sound advice guys. I’ll flip the Sea King when it’s done and start a new thread for the Klamath 14’

As a Tig welder, I've never used those rods. If there are actual cracks, I recommend taking it to a local weld shop.

Nobaddays443 said:
Hey Weldor, wondering if using the aluminum rods on cracks under the boat is a tried and trusted method or just another bandaid over a problem???

If you are talking about Muggy-Weld, Durafix, or one of the other low melt alloy rods they are fine for patching a hole, but I would not use them to fix any kind of stress crack. That being said I have never found them to be that easy to use even following their instructions scrupulously. Some folks claim they work great, but I found plane old DC MIG to be easier for welding aluminum if you clean and brush right before you weld, and AC Pulse TIG to be better and easier if slower. All of that being said I am not a professional welder nor do I play one on the Internet. Do what works for you and wear a life jacket.

Latest posts