Wasilvers did you make it out? I did....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickk

Reaction score
So,
Saturday was a long day of waiting for weather to clear up in anticipation of fishing. A friend and I headed beyond the cheddar curtain to do some kayak fishing with one of our friends who lives outside of Milwaukee. The plan was to launch at a lake and maybe fish it or maybe fish down the lazy river and to another lake, we took option 2. After launching around 12:30 we got to a portage area and it started raining, no biggie, then we heard thunder-well that's no good. Then we saw lightening, so it was by the side of the road we sat as we waiting it out trying to decide what to do. There were some very close lightening strikes, close enough that a tree limb by us was on fire briefly.

Finally it cleared out and we launched and fished, the guy I headed up with had never caught a bass so I made sure he was throwing stuff that could catch a variety of fish; the Beetlespin won out! He nailed 2 little smallies as his first bass ever, a few minutes later downstream I let the other 2 hit the new water and I was tossing a spinnerbait. There were some promising looking lily pads so I sidearm pitched to them and a fish pounced, missed, so I twitched it and he nailed it. A great fight was on with a smallish Northern Pike.

I'll have a pic eventually. gotta run now!

Yes, I made it out. I was on the water when another thunderstorm hit. I booked it back to the launch and sat in the van till it stopped lightning. Crazy, there were a number of guys still on the lake! :shock: Some guys even launched while the thunderstorm was going on.
I went out again and had to move around the lake to avoid passing thunderstorms. Then it cleared up nicely.

As to fishing, I caught a number of smaller largemouth bass (largest was 13 inches) - caught a few northern which fought pretty good. Caught 8 maybe-keeper-size panfish and a number of smaller ones. Didn't keep anything though. Tried all around that lake, just couldn't fish any deeper parts because of the boat traffic. Almost got swamped by a nice showoff boater. Next time I'm going up the river to the next lake, I was told it was low, but I could get out and tow the boat across the lowest spots. Never tried that before, but if the fishing was better, I'd do anything. Spent 8 hours out there, and fish kept getting larger as the day went on, but daddy duties called and I had to leave at 7ish.

I looked at my beetle spins but ended up using mitymites (pink with yellow heads worked) Tied two on as a small school and got a lot of bites. Got to watch a northern follow them from behind - I paused it a second and he 'flared' and inhaled the last one. Very cool to watch in the clear water!

:)

Latest posts