Water absorbing foam below deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have also seen guys use pour in foam, and "cast in" old pop bottles to help fill the volume. That seemed like the best option to me.

Seems this approach would actually give more buoyancy because the weight of the foam that would otherwise be where the bottles are is eliminated.

Save up those ping pong balls! Lol.

The USCG ......ALLOWING........ boat companies to put in .....OPEN CELL...... foam is lying that the boat will float as REQUIRED !!! Criminal to increase profits.
ONLY closed cell should be allowed. Open cell is NOT SAFE !!! ALL of us know that.

The USCG ......ALLOWING........ boat companies to put in .....OPEN CELL...... foam is lying that the boat will float as REQUIRED !!! Criminal to increase profits.
ONLY closed cell should be allowed. Open cell is NOT SAFE !!! ALL of us know that.

I'm far from an expert. I didn't think the open cell stuff would meet the USCG absorption standards.

The USCG DOES NOT inspect any production standards ACTUALLY being done at all in the factories. How else does so many boats have soaked foam ?
The standards are for Brand NEW FOAM Not someting installed in a 2 year old boat with no rain protection.

The USCG DOES NOT inspect any production standards ACTUALLY being done at all in the factories. How else does so many boats have soaked foam ?
The standards are for Brand NEW FOAM Not someting installed in a 2 year old boat with no rain protection.

Again, not an expert. What I've read says that even closed cell foam will degrade and take on water but still provide flotation.

So all marine foams that are supposed to keep your water filled boat afloat. DO NOT have to ? Terrific USCG safety standards. Bless the management.

So all marine foams that are supposed to keep your water filled boat afloat. DO NOT have to ? Terrific USCG safety standards. Bless the management.
I would read CFR 33, my understanding is they don't mandate foam, they do mandat floation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114_091937_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114_091937_Drive.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0
Hey folks,

I'm looking to start a discussion about foam underneath carpeted plywood decks on aluminum boats.

A few years ago I bought a 1996 Starcraft in rough shape for $750. Not only were the plywood decks rotted but the foam underneath was completely saturated with water. It was a labor intensive project, but I pulled hundreds of pounds of foam out before redecking. Since then I have not owned a boat with foam in it.

Fast forward to today, I have the opportunity to buy the exact same year and model of boat, but in much better shape. The carpet is original but still looks really nice. The current owner stores it under a lean to, covered.

Despite it looking to be in such great shape, I'm a little apprehensive to purchase given my past experience with the water-logged foam.

Let's say I check over the boat thoroughly before purchase and find it isn't waterlogged. How cautious do I need to be to avoid the foam soaking up water? Should I be worried about fishing while it's raining out? Do I need to store it indoors all of the time, or will a good cover protect it enough?

I'm not sure whether the last boat's foam got completely soaked from a few rain events, or years of being left out without a cover.

What has been your experience with this foam? How easily does it soak up moisture? I really appreciate any advice or experience you can share.

I would read CFR 33, my understanding is they don't mandate foam, they do mandat floation.
Previous post, could not edit, posted inboard requirements, here is screen shots for outboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115_134522_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_134522_Drive.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230115_134455_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_134455_Drive.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts