Water pump kit help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I have a 1995 15hp 2stroke merc and i'm doing the water pump replacement kit on it.I know that your suppose to put a little grease on the impeller before installing and the spline of the shaft.What about were the new gasket goes or around the new gasket plate or any of that stuff?If i put a lite coat of grease on the whole area will it hurt it or is it needed?I believe i have seen most of them done just with the spline and impeller being lightly greased,is this correct?I'm going to replace the gasket,metal plate,key,impeller and washers i think comes with the kit.

The "Rule of thumb" on water pump kits.

1. If the cup or plate has a groove/pocket large or deep enough to hook a fingernail in, the entire pump assembly should be replaced.
2. If the housing has any sign of heat damage (ie. cup melted into the housing) the entire assembly should be replaced.
3. Inspect the gasket area for cracks, corroded areas, etc. Replace or repair gearcase/pump housing as necessary to effect a good seal.
4. Always replace lower gasket, if for no other reason than to inspect mating surface.
5. Always lubricate the impeller (these days I just use a silicon spray)
6. Always lubricate the crank splines at the top of the driveshaft and replace O-ring, if present or used.
7. Water pumps are cheaper than burned up powerheads.......do it right.

No need to use a gasket sealer on that gasket but on the other hand, it never hurts. More important that the surface is flat and capable of a good seal.

Latest posts