Water Safety, Do you know what 'DROWNING' really looks like?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I joined the Marines in 1975. Swim test was a nightmare. Could not swim well at all. So in order to pass the pool I had to tread water for 24 hours. Four of us were in the pool. I was the only one out of the four that passed. Did not want to get sent back which is what would have happened if I had not passed. The swim instructor asked me if I would like to take some swim lessons. Company DI Said yes for me. So three times a week I spent a few hours each day learning how to swim. That training has saved my butt more than a few times. For anyone who is not a good swimmer take some lessons.

I just watched a vid of a guy drowning in India and it was just like that. Little drama on the surface. It took about a minute before it was over. Freezing cold water is different. The shock takes your breath away. Trick is that it eventually always comes back. If you fall in and are becoming to incapacitated to climb out then just relax, keep gasping until you regain control of your breathing. It can take up to two minutes to regain so do not give up. Your breath will always come back if you don't freak out.
My life coming back i hope to serve a purpose/ 69'70 "I WAS A TROUBLED CHILD" So was sent to live with my father, a Northern Mnt. Man To Whom i owe my life on a few situations One being fishing Rapid's during SPRING THAW! Oh! my friend's if you have never ever fished the Great ADIRONDACK'S in the early spring thaw going into spring, you're not only in for a treat there is danger around every corner unless you """heed to the warnings of the old and knowledgeable!!!!!!!!!!!!!"""Me at 13 yrs. old>" Mr. know it all" / LMAO! "YEAH ok!" Soon to learn a valuable lesson, Fishing the Great "Franklin Falls Rapid's" The sound is deafing? pictured >amazing !!! the fishing if you know where to fish & where the pools are OUTSTANDING! 16 TO 21 IN RAINBOW'S, SPEC'S & BROWN'S // Among other species in cloud's during spawning, bull head's black cloud's, jack perch, you would pull two stringers' in less than two hrs. fishing time. But back to why I am here!
Ice ledges from the below temps over the course of 6 to 7 months of winter 4ft to 6 ft thick hanging into the water dripping water running. I am following my father him telling me where pools are and where to go. Then we come to this location it is something out of time just by looking at it , A medium size stony cliff about 25 ft. high with small trees on it, stick's out into the rapid's by about 20 ft on back side is a long pool in front is a deep round pool short run of fast water and another pool so i am fishing those two my father walks up and disappears up behind the cliff. I choose to follow as all i am catching is bull heads and i want trout.
I follow the path to other side where i see my father has worked his way out around the side of cliff and was fishing a large pool across the other side, & seen he already had 3 -21in rain- bows on his stringer. he did not see me until I was halfway out to him, & he warned me right then to turn around and go back as I did not know area and the footing for that location!
He promised he would show me when waters went down over the summer into the fall when the water's lower & me, I want to know then & now, and my next step would send me in to water so cold I thought they were going to have to change my name to a female & I mean my boy's went somewhere???????? and so did my voice !!!!!!!!!!! . I had hip wader's on and went to my hands & knee's right up to my neck, the only thing sticking out was my head. By the time MY DAD got to me I had already started turning blue, trying to figure a way to stand back upholding onto my gear and fighting the bittering bite of the coldest water that ever hit my body! when I mean hit I mean sharp stinging like if you were cut or run through thorn brush, I lost my breath , trying to gasp for air as water was so cold my body just locked up! He grabbed me and pulled me up and helped me out ! he didn't Hollar at me due to fact he knew I learn just from way I looked and felt. You don't mess around with ice and water & PLACES YOU NEVER BEEN> DONT BE A KNOW IT ALL > Listen to those who know!!!!!!
HE HAD ME STRIP DOWN & GAVE ME HIS JACKET AND PAIR OF LONG JON'S & SOX'S HE ALWAY'S CARRIED AN EXTRA PAIR OF SOX & WONDERED WHY! I now carry a extra pair of sox's with me when i go-fishing, as matter of fact i have a complete clothing set , hey even at 65 yrs. old now you never know when you may need to change your clothes for some reason!
I am going to be going back there soon with a friend of mine to pay tribute to my "dad & grandfather" more than Likely for the last time of this area we three used to fish to-gether I have not been there in over 25 yr's I know i'll find it may take some time but during it alot of laughs / smiles & tears are going to come I know hell it's hitting me now and just writing about it! but bottom line is ice & water ????? USE CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT BE A KNOW IT ALL !!!!USE COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!
& GET HOME SAFE

Last edited:
Four years ago I was at Rehobeth Beach in Delaware swimming out past the breakers with a float tube, just drifting around. A woman came out to about 20 feet from me and asked if she could use the float. As soon as I handed it to her a lifeguard jumped off the chair and straight towards her. He had been watching her and thought she was in trouble. She wasn't panicked just yet but I think she had maybe 15 seconds before she would. She was fine, I don't know if she accidentally got into water over her head or what.
I've had similar experiences when surfing. A tourist grabs my board gasping for air. Freaked me out the first time it happened, but after that, I tended to keep an eye out. Several times, I helped folks make it back in to where they could stand up.

One of the things people might want to have is a 'throw bag'. It's basically a throw rope in a bag. Whitewater people use them and carry them. We are supposed to have a throwable life preserver. That's great, but it's also a one shot deal if you miss or the water carries it away. Then you have nothing.
I also carry one in my truck if I drive by someone w/an issue.
Works for cold/frozen water aids too.