Weekend at KY Lake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
Had a great time this weekend, we got to Piney Campground Thursday night and left yesterday (Monday). I got up and went fishing every morning except Friday because we had gotten in late the night before and we still had the rest of camp to set up. We pulled our new Jayco 1206 popup and I put my 14' X 36" Alumacraft in the back of the pickup truck and carried it up there. In addition to our 2 boys my 11 yr. old took a friend of his along and we met my sister and brother in law from IL and 3 of their kids there as well.

It was H O T Friday and Saturday. My sister gave me a brand new trolling motor that we had bought several years ago when we were supposed to go up to Canada for a vacation. (We didn't get to use it because I had been re-siding my house and I fell off the scaffold and broke my shoulder blade the week before we were to leave. So, it was unused.) It really pushed the Alumacraft around good. My brother in law brought their Bass Tracker V-16 with a 40 hp Mariner on it and we used it Sunday and Monday mornings but we had so many other things to do, fishing was kind of on a back burner... :cry: :cry:

We had a great camp site and we traveled from one end of LBL to the other. The boys counted all the deer they saw from the time we left the house in North MS till we got back and they saw 47 of them!!! All the kids had a great time at all the places we visited, especially the 1850's farm, the Elk and Bison range, and the LBL Nature Center over by Lake Barkley. We did make it up to Patti's in Grand Rivers and it was great too. We spent about 2 hours after eating just wandering around and letting the kids play.

My Brother in law caught a nice Northern Pike too!!! I figure it went about 4-5 lbs but I'm not sure. I had one on the line the day before but it threw the hook. When it jumped out of the water we all looked at it and didn't have any idea of what it might be. I thought it might be a Pike but I didn't really think they were present in KY Lake. I guess I now know they are!! The bass you see my son holding was actually the smaller of the 2 he "caught". The first one probably went almost 3 pounds and he caught it just casting off the back of the beached Alumacraft in the cove by our campsite. The fish hit it so hard the Senko worm he was using was gone so it was hooked loosly and when he swung it over to me to take off the line, it jumped and dropped back in the water. I practically dove in trying to catch it before it swam away but I missed it and my son was upset too...

Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone who is interested in a trip like that make the drive up to LBL. It's a great place for the whole family but even if you have to leave your family at home, I'm sure you can make the sacrifice and get some good fishing in!!.

PS: I've tried several times to resize the picture of my son's bass and the northern but can't get it sized to the 150 KB limit. Does anyone have any tricks on how to do this? (I use Gimp to edit and resize my pictures.)

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• Sunset from the campsite.JPG
    Sunset from the campsite.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 598
  • Paul & Kyllian with fish-small.JPG
    Paul & Kyllian with fish-small.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 566
Mike,
Sounds like a good time!

Picture: There should be no limit on that size anymore. As long as the file is under 2mb we should be good. Dimensions don't matter either. I just did a test post and was able to add a picture that was 1.5mb.

Try logging off and then on again and then try adding it. :-k

All the setting look ok from the back end. I will keep digging too.

Mike,

I'm glad that you had fun. I suppose I'm spoiled now living about 15 minutes from LBL. :lol:

I wish that I had remembered that you were going to be down. You could have gone noodling with us Saturday morning. We were directly across the lake from you.

Jim said:
Mike,
Sounds like a good time!

Picture: There should be no limit on that size anymore. As long as the file is under 2mb we should be good. Dimensions don't matter either. I just did a test post and was able to add a picture that was 1.5mb.

Try logging off and then on again and then try adding it. :-k

All the setting look ok from the back end. I will keep digging too.

Jim, I uploaded a pic attachment of my boat yesterday (taken Saturday morning right across the lake from where Mike was staying) and I had to keep resizing until it was under 150k. My work internet filter won't let me hit photohosting sites so that's not an option for me during the day. :oops:

Thanks Jim, I logged back in again and it worked this time. The pic of the successful fish hunters has posted!! I wish I had taken more pictures but we were so busy I just didn't think about grabbing the camera. I took a bunch up at Patti's and we took several at the Nature Center but I just couldn't get it in my head to grab it when we went out fishing. I even had to come back in Saturday morning for my license!!

Quackrstackr said:
Mike,

I'm glad that you had fun. I suppose I'm spoiled now living about 15 minutes from LBL. :lol:

I wish that I had remembered that you were going to be down. You could have gone noodling with us Saturday morning. We were directly across the lake from you.

Yeah, that would have been fun. The 2 boys would have really enjoyed that. The other boy is growing up to be a really good sportsman. He was spotting deer like nobody's business and he's usually the one that catches the most fish too. It would have been good to have put a face with a name too!! And yes, you are now spoiled!

Your b-i-l is a near dead ringer for a guy that I graduated high school with. :lol:

The fish that you thought was a northern is actually a chain pickerel. They have come on strong in KY Lake in the last few years. We don't usually catch many of them when the water gets this hot but catch several of them in March/April. Surface temp. was 90* at 9:30 Saturday morning.

Quackrstackr said:
Your b-i-l is a near dead ringer for a guy that I graduated high school with. :lol:

Where did you grad-uh-muh-tate HS from? He's originally from St. Louis but I'm not sure what area...

The fish that you thought was a northern is actually a chain pickerel. They have come on strong in KY Lake in the last few years. We don't usually catch many of them when the water gets this hot but catch several of them in March/April. Surface temp. was 90* at 9:30 Saturday morning.[/quote]

Chain Pickerel huh? So, are they any good? Do you fillet them or what? Thanks QS!

Mike

MikeA57 said:
Quackrstackr said:

Where did you grad-uh-muh-tate HS from? He's originally from St. Louis but I'm not sure what area...

The fish that you thought was a northern is actually a chain pickerel. They have come on strong in KY Lake in the last few years. We don't usually catch many of them when the water gets this hot but catch several of them in March/April. Surface temp. was 90* at 9:30 Saturday morning.

Chain Pickerel huh? So, are they any good? Do you fillet them or what? Thanks QS!

Mike

I graduated from a small town high school in western KY. The guy that I am referring to has the last name of King and I have lost track of him since high school.

I have never eaten one of the pickerel but there are several guys on this site from up north that catch them. I would say they would probably be just like eating a northern. From what I have seen online, there is a trick to cleaning those type fish because of their bone structure.

Quackrstackr said:
MikeA57 said:
From what I have seen online, there is a trick to cleaning those type fish because of their bone structure.

That's what I was thinking too. My Dad took me up to a fly-in lake in Ontario when I was in high school and I remembered them being constructed differently than the fish I was familiar with. Well, except for the walleyes and MAN, THAT WAS SOME GOOD EATIN' RIGHT THERE!!!!!

Latest posts