Weldbuilt 1652 semi-V mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobberboy said:
Thanks for the detailed photo's of the aluminum framing. People may think the aluminum framing part is really complicated but in my (little) experience, if you just take your time and think it through it's not so bad. Also, cutting the aluminum with an electric miter saw works really well so long as you go slowly and make sure to have full-face protection. Sometimes the little bits will come flying back and you need more than safety glasses. It would be really tedious to have to cut all those little angles you used to rivet the joints together by hand. What I did looked more or less like yours and it wasn't that hard. Another benefit of riveting is that if you muck it up it's easy to drill out the rivet and do it over. And thanks for the tip about the window company as a resource for aluminum extrusions. That's a good idea to get material that can't be used because it has a blemish. Nice job.

Just a note- I tried 2 blades to cut the aluminum brackets i used and the 2x2 and 4x2 tubing, the metal fiber blade was really messy with slag in the cut pieces, the best was a regular carbide tip framing blade......and yes wear safety goggles and gloves!!!!!!!!!!!

you would not believe the scrap that commercial glass co. have when they make there own framing, they do sell their scrap though so you may want to offer to pay a little for any scrap or blemished framing they may have....i would ask about any blems, that is not usually in the scrap pile!

More pics...

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3,077
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,077
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,077
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,077
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,077
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 3,077
Rat said:
I agree on the framing, that looks very well thought out and executed. I may need to hit Ventanna Glass up for some Raco extrusions for my next build! Great idea.

what are raco extrusions?

wolfmjc said:
does bass pro have 2 part flotation foam?

Not that I know of, I buy mine here at Boatbuildercentral.com:
Foam Link
It's about the best price I have found and they generally get stuff to me in three days, they ship from Florida.

thanks for the replies....raco looks like they would have some cool pieces for any project! thanks for the link for the foam..looked up the foam link was window comp,,,lol

Rat said:
Not that I know of, I buy mine here at Boatbuildercentral.com:
Foam Link
It's about the best price I have found and they generally get stuff to me in three days, they ship from Florida.

Hey Rat,
That link is the same one for the window company.

Worked on the floor (sealed, sanded and some trimming) and carpet, here's a couple more pics more to follow next day internet! :D

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,501
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,501
more pics...

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,492
new bonus today, a friend that works for a company that has several doctor offices gave me 6 foam coolers used for transport of new meds, they were going to dump them, the sides are 3-4 inches thick. will make great floatation when cut and fitted into the sides.

Wolf

The finished front deck looks awesome!!! I wouldn't worry about the motor height, maybe at best 1/2" or so too low, but with that 50 on there it will still fly :D , probably more hassle than it's worth to raise it. For the rear deck, just notch out near the braces or have your lid open inside of them (see pic). I'll have to think about the seating question, a post in the floor will work fine for fishing, but for driving I'd be nervous about mounting anything on the livewell lid.

Attachments

• Deck Options.JPG
    Deck Options.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,700
That boat is sweet.......... You'll get more feedback if you post it in the Mod's section. How big is that livewell? it looks huge.
great work man =D>

Thanks guys, yeah the livewell would hold a whole lot of fish,of course chasing them down in there will be a challenge! lol..I am debating on the seats for the back cause for one, the livewell lid needs to be able to be latched, two the lid would have to have a 3/4 board on top to handle post type seating. I am looking at building a mount at the edge of the livewell on the front to mount the driver seat (on floor to top of lid edge) and then a post mount on the lid itself...

on the rear hatch, not sure if i want lids or cover with a lid on it ( thanks for the drawings Ictalurus!)
not sure how to move this to mods page, will try! Thanks Perchin! #-o

was that boat ever at walker marine in ashville? because it looks exactly like one they had for a while. anyway , boat looks good lots of room for fishing.

bassonater said:
was that boat ever at walker marine in ashville? because it looks exactly like one they had for a while. anyway , boat looks good lots of room for fishing.
yes i picked this boat up from walker marine (nice people!) they had been storing this boat for gary while he was sick, I also think he bought the nissan 50 from them also...they were really nice to gary and took care of me when i picked everthing up. =D>

The boat was there almost 4 years? a while i know....

couple more pics, workin on rear hatch, pics soon on that.

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,652
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,652
:-s okay nobody laugh, on the sides that i carpeted in the middle of the boat i was going to put foam behind the board in the space along the ribs. well the foam is a pain to cut and then i couldnt figure out a way to shave it down.....then it hit me that the space i needed to fit was the exact size of empty oil quarts........so the larger space is 3 empty quart oil bottles and 1 20 oz soda bottle, all covered and held in place by the ribs and wall...the smaller areas are 3 quarts....lol [-X :oops: :oops:
I am still using the foam in the beam area on the front, it will help divide the compartments...

Latest posts