Weldbuilt 1652 semi-V mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfmjc

Reaction score
This is my first time to mod a boat and I can't wait to get started. This boat was given to me by Gary a longtime friend. Gary passed away this past year of Lou Garrets Disease (ALS). I only hope that he knew how much he was appreciated. He was retired Navy, Firefighter/paramedic,hunter,fisherman,sailer,one of the origional talladega pit/mechanics (when the greats were just starting he had pics to prove! they have been donated to racing museum) and civil war re-enactor with an Alabama cannon squad. =D>

The boat is a 1652 semi V weldcraft with a large livewell bench? near the back. The motor controls are on a center console. I have purchased a used 40# minn kota all terraine bow mount 12 volt, a 50 horse nissan 04 model w/oil injection came with the boat and still needs a break in period.I'm waiting on a friend to get me some scrap aluminum so I can save a few $$$. I have put in some new carpet and wood inside because the boat had set (new) for about 5 years, and yes the motor has been serviced, new plugs ect. run's perfect. Let's see if I can post some pics here.....

by the way, this site is awsome! Thanks for looking and any input!

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like a heck of a boat from a great man. Looking forward to some pics.

well here goes pics i hope... :arrow:

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 10,812
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 10,812
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 10,812
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 10,812
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 10,812
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 10,812
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 10,812
:) hey got some pics up!thanks for the great tutorial! I am starting to put a casting deck/ seat mount and storage for trolling battery. Has anyone made aluminum frame on a semi-v for this? I could use some tips....thanks.
my wife got me a couple seats and the doefin thats on the boat for xmas. will try to post a pic of the seats in a bit.

:D Hey everyone, sorry about the delay. I have been waiting for a frien to bring me some 'scrap' aluminum and square pieces for bracing. Well now that i have it it's time to get a plan and start building. pics soon to follow. hmmmm shure would be nice to have a welder .... well lets se what happens... lol

you know i was just thinking this boat with the center console looks just like the gamewardens boat, hmmm i would hate to make anyone nervous out on the lake.. lol :shock:

sorry everyone been tied up, started workin on the boat again forgot camera but will get pics of progress monday. By the way, went to lowes to look at piano hinges and noticed that lowes has 2 types, look on the bottom tag and you will see either steel plated or STAINLESS yes! but the stainless are 20.00 for one hinge.....but they do have them here in alabama anyway...... :roll:

well here goes some pics.....finally! sorry everyone, pics are not in the right order.... #-o

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image016.jpg
    image016.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 9,035
  • image018.jpg
    image018.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 9,035
Thanks, the aluminum is used by a commercial glass company for doors and windows, what i have was blems that could not be used. thanks to eddie for the aluminum! it helped me to save a bundle... =D>
You would not believe how light that stuff is! but really strong!!!

cubanredneck said:
Hey wolf this is off topic but ru a NAPA autocare center
sorry i didnt answer sooner, yes we were.....since our wonderful economy has SLOWED a bit we still use napa parts but have dropped the autocare fees for a bit.. :roll:

Thanks for the detailed photo's of the aluminum framing. People may think the aluminum framing part is really complicated but in my (little) experience, if you just take your time and think it through it's not so bad. Also, cutting the aluminum with an electric miter saw works really well so long as you go slowly and make sure to have full-face protection. Sometimes the little bits will come flying back and you need more than safety glasses. It would be really tedious to have to cut all those little angles you used to rivet the joints together by hand. What I did looked more or less like yours and it wasn't that hard. Another benefit of riveting is that if you muck it up it's easy to drill out the rivet and do it over. And thanks for the tip about the window company as a resource for aluminum extrusions. That's a good idea to get material that can't be used because it has a blemish. Nice job.

I agree on the framing, that looks very well thought out and executed. I may need to hit Ventanna Glass up for some Raco extrusions for my next build! Great idea.

sick. the only word that comes to mind. keep up the work and cant wait for the finished photos. also its nice that when you take pics you take a bunch. more pictures the better. we all enjoy drooling over other peoples projects.

Latest posts