What battery to use??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased 4 of these to play around with, I had been watching them for a long time but had never seen them this cheap until now. The communication cables are not needed for parallel/individual operation, only for series connections.

I spliced the cables on one pair and have been running my 24V Terrova on them. So far it seems to be working pretty well. I was concerned that the BMS would detect over current with the motor on high and shut down but I have not had that issue. I believe the batteries are rated for 80 amps maximum discharge for up to 30 seconds, the motor is supposed to draw around 60 wide open so I figured it would be close.

My biggest concern is the capacity, as it is quite a step down from the 29DCs I had been running, which are rated around 100ah. I have read that you can go quite a bit smaller with lithiums, since you get 100% of their rated capacity, not 50-80% like with a lead acid. I have not really run them long enough to reach a conclusion yet, and I need to install a battery monitor that can track discharge rate. Since I have four, I have the option of running all of them rather than just a pair if capacity is an issue, which would give 80ah at 24v.

I cut roughly 100lbs of weight out of the boat and quite a bit of storage space as well which is a plus. I already had a Noco charger that will charge lithiums.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1659606406...3WJE3TIkkcTDw8S9dw6Z+2BA+L|tkp:Bk9SR-rMiOmNYg

That is a very good price. I'll end up with lithium batteries one way or another. The weight savings in the boat and the fact that I have a herniated disc is the biggest factor. I just don't feel like handling the lead batteries anymore. I remove them during duck season to have extra storage. With 2 DC batteries in the front compartment when it rains some water stays in the front.

Latest posts