What size metal for seating brackets?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmx123

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 14.5 Starcraft Seafarer and I would like to replace one of the seats. My plan is to run two pieces of stainless it aluminum across and put a seat on one side and strap a cooler in the other side in-between the metal braces. My question is what size, shape and kind of metal would hold up without any additional bracing? I attached a photo of the current seat ans where i want the cooler to be.
Thanks for any info

Attachments

• 20220714_132751.jpg
    20220714_132751.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
Boy that'll be a large UNsupported span! I think you'd need at least 1/8" thick 1-1/2" leg, maybe 2" leg, angle aluminum, tied into same mounts affixed to the sides of the hull. If there's a Grainger near you, I've gotten some aluminum from them before for reasonable prices, no shipping charges either.

... have a feeling that too would flex too though ... If you look at the stock seat, the vertical seat projection going down towards the floor serves as a 'truss' to prevent the top panel from flexing. You could always tie in 2x4s (non-pressure treated) captured in the 'L' or angle tin to help support the span.

This is what I'd consider to do at a minimum ... your mileage may vary.

Seat.jpg

Yes, why not just keep the seat you already have. One thing that is a "MUST" with those clamp on seats, MAKE SURE that the part that clamps on cannot shift by securing it to the bench or you may go overboard in the blink of an eye!

Thanks for the info. I'm just looking for some more room on the boat. I only use that half of the seat, so it would be nice to be able to slide a cooler in the other side to store stuff and use the cooler as a seat if it's really needed.