What trolling motor upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow did I luck out. I found a dealer that installed a MG XI5 on a boat. The buyer of the boat wanted only Minn Kota. I was able to purchase the unit for $800. With full warranty. It is a saltwater model without the foot pedal. It is a 24 volt 80 pound. My buddy just purchased the same unit in the freshwater version for 1250. Deals can be found I guess

Wow did I luck out. I found a dealer that installed a MG XI5 on a boat. The buyer of the boat wanted only Minn Kota. I was able to purchase the unit for $800. With full warranty. It is a saltwater model without the foot pedal. It is a 24 volt 80 pound. My buddy just purchased the same unit in the freshwater version for 1250. Deals can be found I guess
You did luck out. Congratulations. I got lucky when I bought my current motor six years ago, a 80 pound thrust MotorGuide saltwater version. Gander Mountain was going out of business and sold their trolling motors cheap. I have had good luck out of Minn Kota and MotorGuide and wouldn't hesitate to have either one on my boat.

I've got to say that the asking price for the Ghost and others is off the chart for what you get and I can't justify the cost. I thought I payed a lot for the Motorguide Xi5 I have but compared to what's being pedaled now it was a bargain. It might have been purchased used but it's been a truly great accessory for my boat. The only thing I've found with the large capacity trolling motors on smaller tin boats is they'll snatch the hull right out from under your feet if you aren't careful.

Wow...I hope you guys are fishing tournaments to help get your money back, no way could I put enough fish in my freezer to make a new TM worthwhile !!! I bought a used boat last summer with a MK power drive with anchor lock or whatever it is called and it is awesome....but if I had to buy it new....not so awesome....cool toy, and glad I have it, but has it really put more fish in my freezer !! I know...the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
I can remember when fishing was a cheap past time....

Expensive compared to Minnkota? Ouch.

My Terrova is showing up in the mail tomorrow and I’m half expecting a tube of Vaseline in the box. Terrova 80/24 BT IP link a remote and the foot pedal that I’ll never use; $2550 before tax. That was best deal that I could find anyway. There really isn’t enough technology in these motors to justify the price.

Pay to play, I guess.

Wait until you have to take one apart... I'm not kidding when I say they are built like kids toys. My 36v Ulterra has been a labor of love and I've had to wrench on it more than a few times. The way it's put together reminds me of Lego toys. Course have you priced Legos lately?

Just bought a refurb MK Powerdrive with iPilot and no foot pedal from Glenn’s Rod and Reel Repair in Iowa for a little over $1k, has a warranty from MK.

I'm seriously considering the Motorguide Tour Pro on my new boat which is similar to yours. It's a 24 volt. I would never go back to a 12v motor even on smaller boats.

Hello Still Afloat,
Yes, it's hard to believe, but a Garmin Force starts at about $3600, a Lowrance Ghost starts at about the same price as the Garmin, and the newly announced Power Pole Move starts at approximately $5000. Those motors make a Minn Kota or MotorGuide seem cheap. It's pretty crazy.
The Garmin and Lowrance I believe are the benchmark that Minn Kota and Motor Guide can only strive to match. I'd have a Force if I had at least a 17 ft boat that accommodated the motor's minimum shaft length.

Latest posts